Wednesday, July 19, 2006

I hugged a Marine today.
Well, I didn't get to post yesterday...but God sure gave me a wonderful opportunity today. Just a little while ago, one of my co-workers - Kathy - came to my desk asking me to come out in the hallway. Her son is home on leave...is going to the sandbox in a few weeks. Just a couple of weeks ago she was thrilled because his enlistment was almost over...he was feeling like he hadn't accomplished a lot because he never got to the sand. I told Kathy at the time he accomplished great things by being a Marine. Last week, Kathy came to my desk.. she looked a bit tired...and she said that a stop loss had been issued and her son will be going to the sand. And so today, he stopped by the office to see her...and she brought him over to our area. Well, of course I had to hug him (I was polite and asked him first). I told him all the things you tell a deploying serviceman. Be careful, God bless you, THANK YOU...and that we would take care of his mom while he is away. It put things into perspective...all morning long I had been stressing about "stuff." You know...the stuff that stresses you out at work or at home or on the morning commute. The programs that you use each day at work may fail; the cable modem for your computer at home is down; the cost of gas goes up to $2.99. It's all stuff. The things that really matter are simple: cherish your family, help others, hug someone and tell them you love them. DO SOMETHING GOOD. And every chance you get...hug a Soldier or Sailor, a Marine or an Airman....
I hugged a Marine today...I hope and pray that he felt the love and respect and admiration that I feel for all our men and women in uniform...It was a hug for Laurie and Stephen and Erik, and Dan, and Billy...for Nate and for Jay as well. For all who serve...though I don't know all of their names, God knows each and every one - at home or far away. He puts the courage in their hearts and the faith in the hearts of all who wait.
It's a comforting feeling to know that God loves them even more than we do.
God bless your day..may His peace be with you.
Sue

1 comment:

Erik Holtan said...

Well, you can be forgiven for it being a Marine!
Kidding, just an interservice rivalry!
Great that your posting a lot!