Sunday, August 13, 2006


Veteran's Day at the County Fair!!

Ron and I went to the County Fair today - here in Western NY, it used to be called the "Hamburg Fair" but is now called "America's Fair" because it is (supposedly) the largest county fair in the country.
We always go on the day designated for Veteran's because there is always a parade of American and Canadian veterans - including bagpipers. As soon as I got home from church I changed into white shorts and my navy blue shirt with the flag on the front and started out for our day at the fair. We got there plenty early and walked around the parade/grandstand area watching the various American/VFW posts getting warmed up and ready to march. As they started to line up, Ron and I took our seats in the grandstand and watched the bleachers slowly fill up with people of all ages. There were proud men and women displaying various military/veteran attire and I was proud to be sitting amongst them...actually I was sitting next to my favorite veteran - Ron. As the parade began, a local high school band played the Star Spangled Banner and as they always do when I hear that anthem, my eyes filled with tears. As each group marched by, it was so moving to see so many veterans of wars long since over...each man and woman older now than when they served, but marching with pride and in step with the music. When a group of active Marines filed past, there was a standing ovation. And when a group of service members filed past, each one carrying a flag representing the Army, Navy, Air Force or Marines, I felt the tears falling again - again, in pride. Seeing the flags really struck a chord in my heart.

And I wondered...30 years from now when our own soldiers are as old as Ron and I, will they be the ones who will march in the parade? Or will they be, as Ron, the proud American veterans giving tribute to their comrades from the grandstand?
These veterans - the men and women who marched, and those who stood in the stands cheering (and even some wiping the tears away as I did) - each of them has a story to tell. It might not be a war story, but it is a story they love to tell just the same. Of a time past, but not forgotten. This is our nation's history - the men and women who have served and sacrificed to preserve our freedom.
Today wasn't just about the veteran...it was about those who serve in today's military. Ron and I saw a soldier walking around with his parents - he was dressed in his bdu's and I said to Ron..."That kid's mom probably made him wear his uniform..." and we laughed because that fits me to a tee.
But seriously, to all of my friends who serve or have loved ones who serve, thank you for your sacrifices. For enduring deployments, and hardships, and separation. When I look at the two star banner in my window, I am reminded not only of the two soldiers that I love, but those you love as well. It reminds me of the bridge that I wrote about last week...the one that connects us.
I am proud to be one of you...and thankful to have each one of you as my friend.
Blessings and love.
Sue

No comments: