Thursday, August 10, 2006


Time flies when you're having fun...

Hi! It seems like only yesterday I was writing my "awol" post, but indeed, it has been 10 days. Ten WONDERFUL days of being with our soldiers and Kasey. It was one of our best trips ever. And I learned a lot too. For instance, did you know that grandmas like me can spend two hours white water rafting even if they've never done it before? And we (us grandmas) can also spend 3 hrs on a horse and travel up a mountain and back down without falling off. Ok, the trail was muddy and the horse lost her footing and I lost my hat, but I stayed on the horse.
The kids look great - Laurie is happy now that she is a soldier again and is talking about her plans for school. When Stephen and Kasey picked us up at the airport the day we arrived, we were expecting to see Kasey in his stroller...but instead, saw a little boy standing next to his daddy looking up with a look that said "I THINK I know you but let me pucker up my lip a little cause I'm not sure." It took all of about 30 seconds before he was reaching his arms up to me. Ron and I melted...and I mean TOTAL meltdown.
So we had so much fun...and the time went so quickly. The plan for this morning was out of the house by 8, breakfast with the kids and then to the airport for our flight home. So, by 0600 I was showered, dressed and makeup done. Laurie came downstairs with Kasey and said "have you listened to any of the news this morning?" Of course the events in the UK altered our plans and we were, instead, out of the house by 0730 and still had breakfast...but were at the airport much earlier. The good byes went pretty well at the curb, but I was crying buckets by the time we got to the check-in. Will it ever get easier?
It started out as a long and nervous type of day and yet, anxious as we were starting out, it went ok. I just kept thanking God for the fact that there were no passengers taking an ill fated flight today.
One more thing that I wanted to mention in tonight's post.
About two or three weeks ago, Jay ( who is my friend Wendy's son) was deployed to the sandbox...and now...just this week, my friend Fran saw her son Vinny leave as well. I have no sage advice to offer...but I know that the emptiness in your tummy feels like a bottomless well. Deployment is not a private matter...but it is very personal. War touches us all...but for those serving and those who love them, war also changes things. We may find things to do to pass the time or to occupy our minds, but it's always there.
If you are someone who is inclined to pray, do so for our troops and for those who wait at home. Hug someone who is waiting and worrying and help them feel the love of God in that hug.
It's what I pray you will find wherever you turn -
a hug...and the love of God.
It's good to be home....hugs to you my friends.
Sue

No comments: