Monday, August 28, 2006

Hi PAPA!!

The phone rang tonight as I was working at my computer. I answered it and heard nothing for a moment, and then a familiar and tiny little voice said, "Hi Papa!"
It was Veronica calling for Papa (well, she pronounces it Bapa). And so I started talking to her and I could hear Tina whispering in the background, "say hi Nana." Ten seconds later I hear..."Hi Nana." At that moment, it didn't matter that I had gotten about 40 calls from the customer service office today - all of them about student loans. I had to wait all day and most of the evening to hear that little voice, but the wait was worth it. Then I hear Tina whisper again, "say bye bye Nana." ("bye bye Nana" says the little echo). So I am trying to get Tina's attention to let her know that "Papa" was in the shower, and Nana would talk to Veronica instead. No, this was a phone call for Bapa and that was all there was to it. I suggested they call back in about 10 minutes, but Tina said she had to pick Scott up from work. Of course on the way home, Veronica fell asleep and Bapa never got his phone call. Tomorrow is another day and I expect that quite early in the day that sweet little voice will be talking to her Bapa.
I love to hear the babies on the phone...when we talk to Laurie and Stephen we can hear Kasey babbling away in the background. When Laurie puts him on the phone the only thing I can understand is "hi" and "I you" (I love you). Why is it that a baby's voice can turn my heart into a bowl of jello? I remember when Laurie and Scott were that age...the countless questions...those eyes searching ours seriously for an answer which we knew would only prompt another "why?" And always in that sweet little voice. The questions were a pleasure because of that sweet little voice.
A funny thing happened while we were on vacation. We were gone for 10 days and when we got home there were absolutely NO messages on our answering machine. Not one. Zilch. Nada. Our kids used to say that we have no life (well sometimes I think they may be right especially with no phone calls in 10 days). But they are so good about calling...about putting the babies on the phone to say hello...and really, that is music to our ears. Veronica is a Bapa and Nana kid, Luke calls us Grandma S. and Buddy; Kasey - well he's a good old fashioned grandma and grandpa boy. I don't care what they call me...as long as they know that I love them and that I can tell them that anytime I want to...anytime I need to.
"Hi Papa...." "I you." "Hey, Buddy, can we go to McDonald's?"
What a blessing!
God bless our troops and may your Tuesday bring many blessings.
Sue

1 comment:

Fran said...

Sue, I like reading your blog. You are a natural for this. Keep it going, hey maybe you should think about writing a book!!!