Wednesday, November 22, 2006



Waiting for Thomas!!

In exactly 17 minutes, I will lift the last of 3 pies from the oven - the house smells wonderful - I had requests for apple, cherry, and pumpkin pies and they are all done. Tomorrow will be a relatively quiet in the morning, but then Ron and I-and the pies- head out for Scott and Tina's house, picking up a couple of their friends on the way. I can already smell Tom turkey - he's going to be delicious. I love Thanksgiving - always have. It's more laid back than Christmas. Such great memories - from childhood, and from various points of my adult life.
Tomorrow will be the 37th Thanksgiving Ron and I have celebrated together. The holiday becomes more meaningful to me as I get older - and although it troubles my heart that our family cannot all be together, I am grateful that Laurie and Stephen and Kasey will be sitting at their own table carving up a turkey as well. I remember the years that Laurie was stationed in KY and would drive up for Thanksgiving. She would have a 9 hour drive here and back, but oh the house felt so good with her here. Then there was the year when Stephen was in KY for some training and couldn't get back to where he and Laurie live. They weren't married yet, but were engaged and it was a nice chance for us to bond with him. There was the year that Stephen was in the sand and Ron traveled out to be with Laurie for the holiday and I was surrounded by Scott and Tina and Luke. It was ok for Ron and I to be apart because Laurie needed him there. Isn't it amazing how we adjust to our situations?
For this Thanksgiving, I'd like to mention in particular all those who are serving in harm's way. Do you know how grateful we are for the job that you do? And only God knows how often our prayers are spoken on your behalf. Or how empty your chair is when your family is gathered at the dinner table. Remember, please, that to have you all home would make the holiday perfect, but just because you are there doesn't mean you aren't here at home with us.

Have courage, practice your faith, and be blessed.
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.
Sue

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving...have a great weekend.