Thursday, November 30, 2006




There in spirit.

Well, Laurie was promoted today - to Staff Sgt. Three up, one down as they say. Sure wish we could have been there. This is a rank that she made just before she got out of active service but because she didn't have a year left to serve, she had to turn it down. I know that she was feeling good about her decision to leave the Army to have Kasey, and yet...there's this heart that beats in my child that is a soldier's heart.

And so, once she joined the reserves they didn't lose too much time promoting her.
It feels like one of those moments when mom and dad should have been there. But I am thankful that Stephen was. Now that they don't actually "pin" the rank on because of the velcro, I'm just wondering - how do they do the promotion?
When she was promoted to Sgt., Ron and I made the trip to pin her rank on. It was one of the most memorable days of my life and I did very well once I got a handle on things - hardly cried during the ceremony but as we sat there waiting for everyone to enter the room I was trying with all my might not to bawl like a baby - in case you haven't guessed, I get emotional about things like that. But as soon as all the "brass" walked in and then the soldiers being promoted, well, I was a goner. Of course I was discreet - or tried to be, because I knew that if Laurie saw me she would be the same way. And that just wouldn't do. SO I sucked it in and finally stopped.
Today at work, I kept watching the clock and, at the hour of her promotion, God heard a prayer from a new Staff Sgt.'s mom. A prayer of thanks that God has led her to be part of such an honorable profession. When I started out blogging back in July, my very first post acknowledged that life is a roller coaster, but it's a proud ride we venture on when we love a soldier (or two :).
All of you who are riding the curves of this adventuresome trip know what I am saying. The anguish can't take away the pride in moments like today.
And even though there are too many miles between us, our soldiers always know - we are there in spirit.
We were there today Laurie - and we love you.
To all the others who received new ranks today (and those who are waiting for that day still to come) God bless you as you serve - remember you are loved by many. And appreciated by all.
Blessings,
Sue

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulation To Laurie. That is so great. :)