Monday, November 13, 2006




TAKE ME ALONG!!


Happy Monday! The weekend sure did go quickly - but then what else is new? Ron and I had a great weekend - we went Christmas shopping for the grandkids on Saturday, visited Scott and Tina and Veronica (Luke continuing with his out and about and having fun tradition), and then Ron and I went out for dinner to The Red Lobster. That's a restaurant we save for special occasions so we decided to go there to celebrate our wedding anniversary which is tomorrow (more on that tomorrow) . and also to honor Ron on Veteran's Day too. So, we ate and ate (LOVE those cheesy-garlic biscuits), and got home early to watch movies and a documentary on CNN. As we sat watching movies (horror movies not my cup of tea) I got to thinking about my sisters. Being the middle kid, I have a sister Pat (older) and a younger sister too (Chelle) and though we fought like typical siblings when we were younger, we have been close in our adult years. We are separated by distance but still fortunate to be connected by a loving bond that has remained strong despite long separations and difficult family situations. As I thought about Pat, I was suddenly reminded of our high school years. Pat was always one to try out for every school play or operetta ever produced in the auditorium of our high school during her years there. With her sweet and clear singing voice and her ability to fill each role with emotion, she was always able to capture a top role. This past Saturday night, I recalled one operetta in particular...Take Me Along. It was a story about a man who couldn't hold on to any sort of relationship because of his inability to stay out of trouble. So, as the male lead sang his closing song with a broken heart, leaving town in disgrace, and without the woman he loves, he turns to board the large artificial train which served as the backdrop. From amongst the hushed audience came a sweet voice calling out..."Sid," and she began singing the finale..."Take me along, take me along..."
It was Pat. She had managed to walk into the dark auditorium during her co-cast member's song and had stopped next to my seat. With so much attention on the young man on stage singing his sad song, I hadn't noticed her standing there, which was exactly her intention, so that nothing gave her away. But as I wiped away the tears (yes, Nancy, even back then I was like that:), it dawned on me that this was the closing night of Pat's last high school operetta. I was so proud of her. So I picked up the phone yesterday and dialed her number in Tennessee just to say hi and I love you - sometimes those memories are God prompting us to do things like that. We haven't talked for awhile - no good reason, just time getting away from us both - and so it was good to chat. She invited Ron and I down to TN for my 60th in March and Chelle and her husband Bob will be going too we hope.
Take me along...take me along. I guess ~ in a way ~ that's what we are asking God to do when we pray for guidance. Take me along Lord and keep me on the path YOU would have me follow. I don't remember a time in my life when Jesus hasn't been present. In fact maybe God has been the one saying to me "take me along..take me along." I may have strayed off the path once in awhile - ok, probably lots of times - but He's always been with me.
Ever feel like that path stretches out long and uncertain? Deployments, or illness, any uncertain situation you know won't be settled soon? Our faith asks us to bid Him..."take me along Lord." Our trust tells us to hold out our hand and let Him lead us. His love for us answers that bidding every single time.
How awesome is that?
God bless you and those we love who serve
.
Sue

No comments: