Monday, November 06, 2006

Blessed are they...

Hi everyone! Well, you might have wondered where I've been lately. We have no internet at home and my workday doesn't normally allow for time to post here. But today, I am taking my lunch at my desk so I wanted to say hello.
Yesterday was All Saints Day - commemoration of the faithful departed. It's always a bittersweet Sunday - remembering friends and family in Christ who have passed away in the past year. Pastor remembers them individually in prayer, and then a bell tolls after each name is read. The Gospel lesson yesterday was the sermon on the mount from Matthew - the beatitudes. Though I used to get hung up in the meaning of each one, I now take them for what their simple message gives:
Beatitudes
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.
Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
To me they say - be gentle, and compassionate, and seek the ways of the Lord no matter who defies or belittles or injures you. It tells me that no matter how low I may be in Spirit, He gives me the comfort of knowing that His love goodness are with me. To make peace out of chaos - in relationships you have with others, or in those trying times when two people you love are divided.
When we think of peacemakers, we think of ambassadors, or envoys, or leaders of nations. But when GOD thinks of peacemakers it is you and I that He thinks of. To pray, to reach out, to reason, to love. To help others to know the Peace that He gives.
So, my friends, thank you for the blessing of your friendship. I know that in many ways you show these things to so many. May He bless you for being a blessing.
See you soon I hope - until next time, I am thinking of you and keeping you in prayer - especially if you love someone in uniform, I wish you peace as we all pray for their safety.
Sue

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue, I am so glad you decided to blog. Now I have another place I can come and visit.
All Souls day was a very bitter sweet day for me this year, but my experience with my son Dave has made my faith so much stronger. It is so true that with every cross comes strength. Strength that you never knew you had.