Monday, October 02, 2006



Sore is good...

Well, yesterday was one of the most wonderful experiences of my life. It was the annual Making Strides for Breast Cancer walk. I am always in awe of these things - how they always seem to be a success. But this year was different - I was no longer on the outside looking in. And it was awesome - just awesome. It began with the worship service led by our Pastor for anyone who had gathered there in the hours before the walk began. Soon, the downtown square was wall to wall people - men and women in "I survived breast cancer shirts" (men too because breast cancer does not discriminate against men); women with pink hats covering the hair loss from chemotherapy; and men, women, and children of all ages with signs on their jackets and shirts: "Rosie's team" or "in memory of Donna."
There was the warm-up, and the count down...and then the walk. Over 3 miles of winding streets and sidewalk through the lakefront developments.
Eventually these old legs just needed a moment's rest. So I sat on a rock on the lake's edge - took a sip of bottled water, and prayed for the strength to finish. If I could finish, then the excitement, and the fundraising, and the trust that my family and friends had in me would be well placed. So, I got up and continued walking. A friend from church came up behind me and it was good to have someone to walk with. As we neared the home stretch we heard the people cheering for those nearing the finish line, I knew that soon it would be me walking past the cheerleaders and into the crowd of those gathered at the end of the line.
My eyes welled up with tears as volunteers offered water and apples and granola bars to the walkers. Tears not of sadness, or fatigue, but of unbridled joy at having been a part of this event. Not everyone would understand the tears, but I think most of you do ~ because you know me. The tears were because I wasn't watching and wishing I was part of it. They were for all who hadn't made it through the battle of cancer, and they were because I was realizing God had answered my prayers every step of the way. Truly, He was my strength.
When I got home, it was hard to explain what the day had meant. I made a snack, laid down on the couch with Lilly to watch the football game, and woke up 3 hours later.
Today, I am sore and tired and happy. And more thankful than ever because God truly was with us yesterday - all 8,000 of us.
The theme of this year's event was "Hope Starts Here."
Well, maybe that is partly true, but for me, hope began 2000 years ago on a cross, on a hill.
And because of that hope, we have the strength and the desire to pass the torch of hope to others.
Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.
Blessings,
Sue

No comments: