Monday, October 23, 2006


SOUP'S ON!!

At the end of a long work day, I used to come home and cook dinner - like most women do. But I am blessed to have Ron - who is retired now - and who LOVES to cook. Actually I should say CREATE!! Today he called me at work and said "would you mind stopping on your way home to get a loaf of crusty bread?" Immediately I thought..."YAY!!! Comfort food!!"
You see my day started out kind of bad. I had just pulled out of our driveway this morning when I realized that I forgot some cards that I wanted to write out and put in the mail during my lunch hour. So I copped a U-ee and went back up the hill and turned into our driveway. Ron and Lilly had just gotten up and were surprised to see me back already. I ran in, picked up the cards, and ran back out. Just as I was pulling the garage door shut behind me, a gust of wind came along and slammed it shut on my hand. I saw stars, and as I looked at my hand with the headlights providing the only light in the early morning darkness, I could see that it wasn't gonna be pretty.
It's not bad - there'a a small little lump that seems quite sore in one finger, bruised a couple of other fingers and one of my knuckles looks a little bigger than usual but I think I'm gonna live. :) All my data processing got done today so I'm definitely not disabled. But work didn't go too well - just technical problems with our financial aid reporting system but it will get worked out tomorrow, I'm sure. Anyway, I was really glad when Ron said we needed crusty bread.
As I drove into the driveway with freezing rain pelting the windshield, all I could think of was that Ron and Lilly were waiting for me - and that thought alone was enough to erase EVERYTHING that had happened today.
So, when I opened the door, there was Lilly sitting on the steps in the hallway - waiting for mommy...and Ron was standing right behind her. The aroma of homemade soup hit me and I thanked God for this man He has blessed me with. Oh and the doggie too.
Soup. It warms the tummy - but the love that's in it because of the hands that made it, that warms the soul. I love you, Ron.
I need to ask for some prayers for some military mom friends of mine who are going through a rough time right now because they fear for the lives of their children who are in the sand. Actually, this could be a request for many moms - or other loved ones of those serving. But the ones I am thinking of know who they are - and more importantly God knows who they are and who we are asking Him to protect. Our troops are going through some rough waters right now - may God keep them in His care. And may He give us peace in our hearts - for His love gives us a spirit of courage, and not fear. May that be so for us all.
God bless you and thanks for letting me share.
Sue

No comments: