Friday, January 23, 2009

Just when I thought I was home free....


Ok, I've been thinking to myself since October, "let's try to make this a winter without an upper respiratory infection...can we do that, Susan?" As December passed into January and I got through all the busy-ness of the holidays - shopping in stores with people who should be home taking care of their colds, not catching any of the colds other kids shared with Veronica and Kasey in school and day care, and getting three weeks into January, I was just thinking the other day, "HA! You're gonna do it!"
And then there was yesterday morning when the familiar scratchy throat, red nose and eyes, and sneezing hit. One of my staff members told me when she saw me first thing yesterday morning, "you look and sound sick!" (encouraging way to start the day). Good thing I love her. :) And when I woke up at 3:30 this morning head pounding, sneezing, etc., I decided to get up as usual at 5:15, take my sudafed, wait til 6:15 and see how I felt. At 6:15, I picked up the phone and called in a voicemail to my Supervisor that I wouldn't be in today. I can do some things here today - need to do a spreadsheet and that will be easy without having any interuptions. Well, not counting Lily begging to have her ears scratched.
Things are changing for me at work. Our director sent out an email yesterday to the entire organization asking them not to call me for customer service issues since I am preparing to retire and the staff needs to learn the issues and the answers they should be giving. No longer will I be doing processing, but rather documenting the things that my supervisor would like me to leave behind. It feels different already -not like I'm not still needed but as if the baton has already been passed. It's hard, you know? And if it's hard for me to do NOW, how difficult will it be for me when I leave?
Well, there is always the fact that I am retiring to be with Ron and the rest of our family. There is the fact that we will be traveling and we will have Kasey with us. I think I can get used to that without ANY problem at all. But we will be leaving Scott and Veronica behind...THIS will be a heartbreaker for Nana, Papa and I think for Veronica too. Scott might miss us a bit also. :) but hopefully they will be able to travel to see us - with a little help from our checking account once in awhile.
And so today, I will nurse my cold, and my sciatica, and build my color coded spread sheet. Tomorrow we will go hunting for RVs again - Kasey loves doing this and has to sit in the driver's seat in every motor home that's there. Of course we won't be buying a motor home, but he can still enjoy looking at them.
We are waiting for the lady who looked at the house last week to be able to bring her son through with her. This is good, don't you think? She's had a week to think about it and she still wants the house. YAY!
Time for my sudafed....blessings for your weekend.
God bless our troops.

5 comments:

Karen said...

I hope you are feeling better by now. I hate those winter colds....
Hard to believe that you'll be gone soon--a new chapter starting in your life.
HUGS
Karen

Elisha said...

Hoping you are feeling better.

Karen's comment got me to thinking, Will you still be blogging so we can continue on this adventure with you once you sell the house and are on the road?

Sue said...

Elisha,
ABSOLUTELY! Thanks for asking! :)
hugs,
Sue

Elisha said...

So glad to hear it! By the way how are you feeling? and any word from the lady interested in the house?

kbug said...

It's no fun to be sick any time of year...hope you're better. I like to think that we'll be able to retire a few years down the road, but sometimes I wonder if we'll be able to afford it. Oh well, we'll think about that in about 10 years or so...in the meantime, we'll enjoy our grandson and look forward to the day Seth returns from the sand. Life is good..... :)