Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Are We a Different Nation?


Today - we have probably all heard at least 10 times - is a day for the history books. As one President leaves as some (most?) do ~ with a less than pleasing performance in the eyes of many ~ we can be thankful that we live in a country where WE get to decide our next leader. Of course not all of us chose the same man (and we came oh so close to being able to say "woman"), but I think we now need to put all of the political stuff behind us and get on the same page. Support our nation by working together. It won't always be pretty, but it is democracy at work. We have youth in the White House - not just in the man and woman who are the first parents of the nation, but in their cute little girls. It's been awhile since the White House has been occupied by children as young as the Obama girls - and they will most certainly love the experience.
And so, ARE we a different nation tonight? I must admit that I wish I could have watched the inauguration events today - and will try to catch some of the reruns and highlights tonight. It is exciting - and yet a bit heartbreaking at the same time. We see a man take the oath of office for the highest and most influential position in the free world - maybe in the entire world.
And we pray - for him, for his family, and his safety. We pray that God will give him wisdom and strength; the energy - and the conscience - to do what is right for this awesome nation and the interests of the world.
But no matter where our political affiliations are, we are also seeing a President go home to his native state of Texas. A man who showed what he was made of on September 11, 2001. Who made some poor choices over the course of 8 years, but I truly believe kept our nation safe from other terror attacks. I am one of those in the minority because I still believe George Bush is a good man. I pray God will bless him with a restful conscience - because every man who has good intentions and a peaceful heart should have a sense of accomplishment over a job that is way too much for a normal man to endure 24/7, 365.
This is probably the MOST outspoken post you will ever see on Two Star Mom. But I try to see the good in everyone - I believe there were so many good intentions in the man who left the oval office today.
And may God be gracious to the man who will be at work there in the morning. The new Commander in Chief for those who serve. Dear Lord, may they be able to look to him with confidence and security in who he is.
Maybe we CAN be a different nation - and rely on God's will instead of mankind's.
God bless America and the troops who defend her.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

twostar...this was a beautifully written post. I pray for our nation. I thank President Bush for I do believe he is a good man and he served our nation as few men are courageous enough to do.

~AirmanMom returning to her blog...

kbug said...

I pray God's blessings on our former president also...a man with a good heart and strong faith. I pray that he will find some peace and happiness and be able to leave behind all the stress. I also pray that our new president will be able to live up to the hype of today.

Linda said...

I agree with you Sue...President Bush was a good president despite what people have said about him. I think he led this country with compassion, dignity and courage. I have thought about it the last few days I would love to write him a letter thanking him for his 8 years of leadership, I wonder where I could address it to?

Ma said...

Sue,

Beautiful post....straight from the heart.

Betsy

Unknown said...

So often we get carried away by what the media is focusing on that we forget how hard many of the decisions that are made by our president are.

The thing that struck me most about the televised portions of Jan 20th - the hope of the nation, yet the fall of the markets. I guess it is going to take a little bit longer to get EVEYONE on board and moving in the right direction.

Does anyone remember the website Powel spoke about?

Call Me Grandma said...

May God Bless G.W. Bush.
We can all say he did try to do what he thought was right.
Excellent post. It is my sentiments also.