Thursday, January 08, 2009

And in tonight's headlines....


We had a really miserable weather day here today. First, I overslept and woke up at 5:45 when the phone rang. It was one of my staff saying she wouldn't be able to come into work today.
So then I looked outside and even though it was pitch dark, it looked like a tundra. First "executive" decision of the day: "Kasey is staying home from preschool today," I announced to Ron, who really just wanted to go back to bed (and he did, but he was up again before I left).
Hmmm, maybe I should wait to go into work when the roads are better," I thought.
Second executive decision: "No, I'll get an early start so I can get there on time."
And therein was the mistake.
I should have realized when I had to plow through ruts and snow piles to get on our rural expressway that it wasn't plowed very well. Now, in the 15 years I have been doing the 30 some mile commute (each way) to my job, I have driven in snow storms that would knock your sox off. Why should today be any different?
Except that it was, and 15 minutes into my commute, going 23 miles per hour, I skidded off the road, down the embankment, and the car came to rest facing the wrong way in a water filled ditch. After calling the police, then Ron - who had tried to convince me to go in late - I sat there in the pitch dark, crying and thanking God. The car could have very easily flipped and I could have been upside down in the water. Anyway, the towing place said they could be there in two hours so I would just have to "sit tight." (Like I was going anywhere?)
The tow truck finally arrived and it only took him about 20 minutes to pull me out. There's a little damage to the driver's side front end - there was so much mud on the front of the car that we thought the license plate was missing - but once I was home and Ron rinsed off the car, the plate was there...just caked with mud from the trip into the ditch.
On tonight's news, as they talked about the weather and the accidents and the cars off the road, a picture popped up on the video, and there I was, big as life, sitting in the ditch.
Tonight I am sore, thankful, and extremely tired. You know how a person gets a surge of adrenalin in situations like that once they know they are alright? Well, the adrenalin doesn't last very long and eventually the aches set in. This is me wondering why the heck I am still up.
Bed time for this two star mom. Ron is driving me in tomorrow.
When one of the policemen stopped to check on me, I told him that I had so much on my desk I planned on doing today. He said, "well, this is why we are given another day - you can do it tomorrow."
Oh and just a couple other things. People care - as was evidenced in the 10 or 12 cars which either stopped or slowed down to check on me. For those who did that in such dangerous conditions, even if it was to roll down their window and holler out, "ARE YOU OK?" it was a gift.
I wasn't alone in the dark - well, eventually, the light.
And oh yes, the other thing....SEAT BELTS REALLY DO SAVE LIVES.
I am livng proof.
Thank you, God.
God bless our troops.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sue...God is Good! I am so thankful you are at home and hopefully you will get some rest tonight.

~AirmanMom returning to her blog...

Ma said...

Thank you God for protecting my good friend and Kasey's grandma.

Sue, this is awful. I know you are so thankful that you just have aches and pains.

I'm sure right now you are counting your blessings.

Take care and maybe stay home next time OR do what your husband tells you to do (go in late!) ha!

Betsy

Elisha said...

Sue, I am so thankful that you were not seriously hurt.