Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Have you hugged a Veteran today?

Nearly four years ago, when Laurie left military service (for a brief period of time :-), I bought a bumper sticker that said, "Have You Hugged a Veteran Today?" I put one on my car - and one on my desk at work...under the one star banner. It remains today - at work it is displayed now beneath my TWO star banner. At the time, it was my way of honoring Laurie's service, and that of her dad who is a combat veteran of the Vietnam War - US Navy. And it still does honor them. I am so proud of those who have served - and who STILL serve. They, God willing - will one day also be veterans.
This morning I received an email from Ron at work - it was simple. "Happy Veteran's Day, Army Grandma." My reply to him was simple as well - "Happy Veteran's Day NAVY VETERAN, ARMY GRANDPA."
We are free because of these men and women - present and past.
When I watch the miniseries, "Band of Brothers," (it's one of our favorites) I think of what it must have been like to freeze in the forests of Germany in the winter; or in other battle fields, to try to at least make it out of the water and onto the beaches of Normandy and Guam without being killed in action. My Uncle Bill was injured at 17 years old at Pork Chop Hill during the Korean War - he limps, but is proud of his service - in fact worked as a civilian for the Army until he retired some years ago. Thanks Uncle Bill.
These things, and others, are cause for thanksgiving - because by the grace of God and the courage of these men and women, our country is free. And this, after all, is what makes us who we are - America.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks to your family for their service! It is such an important day to remember all who have served in our armed service, past and present!

~AirmanMom returning to her blog...

Anonymous said...

Happy Veterans Day, Sue. I have my one star flag inside the house. Though it is not on diplay, I was advised that it shouldn't be, I think of what the sacrifices are from his point of view everyday. Sacrifices that I will never understand. Sacrifices that could never be fully appreciated unless you are the one making them. Our sacrifices are few in comparison, don't you think?
Happy Veteran's Day... Thank you.

Karen said...

As I just said on another blog, I not only THANK our veterans but the families of our military who stand beside them and do what is needed--like taking a 3 yr. old so mom and dad can do their jobs without worry ( well at least not a lot of a worry)......
HAPPY VETERAN'S DAY to all of you.
Your family has served and is serving our country well.

Call Me Grandma said...

Thanks Sue for all that you and yours do and have done in the service of our country.
Prayers going out your way.

kbug said...

You stole my line.....lol. I texted and e-mailed a vet friend, did a drive-by hugging of my dad, talked to my middle son on the phone, and said a prayer for my youngest son who is deployed.

The jets and WWII-vintage planes were flying around town, but I wonder how many that weren't at the actual event downtown went outside and stood looking up to catch a glimpse of them...I did. God bless all of our vets...young and old..... :)