Sunday, September 21, 2008


Getting ready.

It was a great week - lots to do at work, at church, and at home. Laurie and Kasey traveled a lot this week, finding Laurie's apartment for her new duty station, and going back to their home at her TDY station to gather up their belongings and prepare for Kasey's move here. It will be a busy month or two...Ron and I have a wedding to go to in Georgia for our niece, and the following week, Ron will be helping Laurie move and bringing Kasey to grandma and grandpa's house. I am good with this - I welcome everything that is planned, but I have one thought that is hard to get past and that is when Laurie needs to send Kasey with Grandpa. I am trying to be strong about all that since Laurie will need me to be - it's just the thought that her heart, and Kasey's, will be hurting...therefore mine. And, that Stephen will be wondering how it is all going.
BUT, there is much to do. We have to get this house up for sale so no time to think about things that only God's love can heal. And so, today, I went down to the basement to empty some boxes and consolidate some things - get them ready for their big adventure in our RV - whenever that may be. If you could see the boxes of pictures we have - they are waiting for scrapbooks and albums, for sending to others perhaps, and for keeping. SO they are all going in one of those big rubber tubs with a cover on it. At least I hope I only need one of those tubs. As I transferred the pictures from the boxes to the rubber tote, I tried not to look at too many of them - because we all know what happens then...well, you have a pretty good idea of how I am. In one word: sentimental...and so you know what THAT means when I look at pictures - you get the "picture" (sorry for the play on words there). But oh good grief, I can only hold out for so long before I stop and look at a few. And then a few more, until before you know it, I am sitting on the basement stairs looking and smiling and sighing. (OK - I ADMIT IT - crying too). I emptied 4 boxes and called it quits. It took me two hours - would have only taken half an hour had I not stopped along the way. But I got ideas for scrapbooks for Kasey and I to make during the winter, found some pictures of Laurie and of our family that I can send to Stephen.
And so, we are getting ready to roll. Slowly - but surely - the walls in the basement are nice and clean, the floor is being prepared for painting, and all those things that we've been holding onto for years are being sorted through, remembered, and perhaps discarded. But there's nothing wrong in the memories - just makes you want to make more...know what I mean?
Yeah, it's going to be a challenging year but we are up to the challenge....and then some.
About Stephen, Laurie has heard from him a couple of times - and Kasey has been able to talk to his daddy too. I smile when I type that - it's a really good thing, don't you think?
And by God's grace, my heart is still at peace. Guess He's getting me ready too - it's not all about pictures. It's about faith, about prayer, and, I think, about being a grandma.
Yup - still smiling here.
God bless ALL our troops and those who love them.

3 comments:

Karen said...

I smile when I read your posts, even when tears fall. I have to say my first thought after reading this one was: And all is good with the world.
HUGS,
Karen

Linda said...

Ahh pictures, they tell the story of our lives. If you ever have the time scan them into your computer so incase something every happens to the pictures you have a copy of them digitally and you can always go to your computer to cry I mean sigh over the happy times you have had.

Call Me Grandma said...

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Sounds like you are getting ready for a new phase in your life.