Friday, September 12, 2008

Assembly line cooking.

Tonight when I got home from work, I did what I usually do...called out: "NANA'S HOME!!"
Ron greeted me, and Lily, but not Binker. This is the first weekend in a year - except when we've been visiting Laurie and Stephen and Kasey - that Veronica hasn't been here with us. She's at her dad's new apartment this weekend and that's where she will go nearly every weekend. And so, we are back to visiting her and Scott on Saturday afternoons. It's ok - I'm glad Scott was able to get his apartment - but nobody came running and smiling when I got home today. Sigh.
And so, tonight I got busy and did some cooking after dinner.
A few weeks ago, a lady at church called me and said that our mutual friend had broken her femur and was very restricted in what she can do. So she said that we were going to bring meals over to her -could I do them this weekend? She asked for 3 meals for our friend.
So what's on the menu? I made a big pan of swiss steak, there will be rice, a small green bean casserole (ummm, can you have that if it's not a holiday?)...and cornbread. There are duplicates for Ron and I. Then I thought it would be good to make one final tuna pasta salad - summer is almost gone and I hate to see it go without another pasta salad. So, there are three bowls of tuna pasta salad in the fridge: one for my friend from church, one for us, and one for our friend next door whose wife is in FL taking care of her parents. Ok, now you HAVE to have dessert - right?
So I made my specialty - homemade lemon chiffon pie. Three of them. One for my friend Marion, one for us, and one to split between Scott and our neighbor. Just before I deliver it I will put the final touches on it - mounds of fresh whipped cream around the edge of the pie.
Yeah - it was good I was busy tonight. I am trying to unwind a bit before bed, but since I am working at the garage sale at church tomorrow, I guess I should get some sleep. And my feet are killing me.
Praying that your weekend is blessed. Mine already is cause you are here and reading this.
Sue

2 comments:

Elisha said...

I want you for my neighbor. All that food you made sounds great!

I am sure that was emotional when she was not there to greet you when you got home but think how great it will be for her to greet you when you go to her new house now!

Karen said...

You make me hungry and I did my own assembly line cooking on Sunday so I wouldn't be tied to the kitchen while Shannon was here

I know that feeling of having them around and then being gone....but at least Binker is close by so you can visit and pretty soon Kasey will be there to greet you in the evenings.
HUGS,
Karen