Saturday, May 24, 2008





Remembrance.

It's such a beautiful day today - the sun is shining, leaves are still (as in quiet) on the trees, and Lily is lying on the back deck in her sunbeam. I think it's a good day to pack up a few things and head to the park with Ron, Scott, and Veronica. There are swings to be swung, slides to be, well, slid :), and teeter tauters to balance. A quick stop at the grocery store to pick up some impulse items, (chips, cookies, etc.) and some good things like fresh fruit, and we will be on our way.

But Memorial Day Weekend is not just an extra day off from work. As the war(s) carry on, and the news reports remain grim (because the networks would rather report the bad than the good), we realize more than ever the significance of this weekend....remembering those who have fallen defending our flag, and our freedom, and the liberty of others as well. On Monday morning our flag will fly at half staff and I will stop cleaning, writing, doing whatever I am doing at 11 and pray with the nation. For 'permanent peace,' as our President phrased it in his Memorial Day proclamation yesterday. And for those who strive to accomplish that 365/24/7 because they have been called by conscience , patriotism, or by God to serve and to sacrifice.

Ron and I will be leaving in a few weeks on our road trip to see the kids. We do love our road trips no matter how long they are, and I liken them to rainbows because at the end, we find our pot of gold. Our soldiers and their little soldier. This will not be an easy trip as it will be our final family time with Laurie, Stephen and Kasey before Stephen deploys. His date was moved up a couple of months and so the roller coaster starts that long climb a lot earlier than we expected. As so many of us know, this is what life is about for the families who love those who serve.

I ask that we all take some time this weekend - as most of us do enjoy that extra day off - to remember those who have fallen and those who are still serving. At home in this great nation, and in places far away.
May God bless them all, and may He bring peace to the hearts of those who love them.

Sue

3 comments:

Elisha said...

Praying your trip is a good one even if bittersweet.

Praying along side of you for those who have given everything serving our country to those who put their lives on the line every day to defend our freedoms.

Hoping your day at the park was great!

Anonymous said...

I will spend more time here tomorrow, or maybe even tonight. I wanted to post you a note quik to let you know that I thank you for extending your kindnesses and appreciation to me on my blog. I am honored. I left you a note by way of a foolow up post but since I am new at this, I didn't know I could just click on your name and read all about you... three day later, I figured it out.
I will visit soon... and thank you again for you expressions.
Burrillo Pad!

Anonymous said...

I have spent some time reading your blog on this memorial day and am awe struck by the commonalities of our families. The lord has brought us together, I am sure of it~
Thank you for your post today, Arlington cemetary must be an overwhelming joy and sorrow all at once. I have yet to set foot there, but as the story's pass my ears and heart I am in constant spiritual contact with a place so hollow, so important. My heart is with you as are my prayers for your sons safe deployment. I am going to send an e-mail to my mother-in-law and link her to your blog. I am sure she would find somthing there to keep with her always.
All my best,
Anna