Monday, May 26, 2008

Back to work...with memories.

Tomorrow takes me back to my desk - looking for adventure, you might say. There's always fun at work this time of year - we're so busy that we find a lot of laughter in the little things that lighten the day. Are we punchy? Nope, not at all. Do we enjoy our time there? It depends on who you ask - I for one say YES!
It's been quite a weekend. Friday I ended my work day by attending a wake for the stepdad of one of a friend and co-worker. Veronica was all wound up on Friday night but a good night's sleep for all of us helped immensely. Saturday, instead of the park, we went to the playground and she loved every minute. We came home and grilled some steaks and then went to the dairy just down the road for ice cream. I learned that when you want just a small chocolate/vanilla twist cone, you ORDER a small chocolate/vanilla twist. NOT a medium. Veronica fell asleep before I could get her in the bathtub and so yesterday - much to her surprise and delight - she had a "morning bath." (a morning bath, Nana???). When I came home after church, it was definitely a park kind of day - so we took Veronica to the park. There would be something for everyone...
At the gates of the park, and throughout the park itself, there were small flags lining the roads. Veronica enjoyed the swings and the slides, but her Papa and Nana were thankful to see the flags and to appreciate just how much time it must have taken to line the many miles of road with these flags. As we were on our way through, we stopped at a Veteran's memorial walk...and took the journey that led from a small parking lot to the shores of a placid man made lake. Along the way were benches honoring all the branches of the Armed Services. Near water's edge, at the end of the walk, the sidewalk ended with a circle of copper colored tiles surrounding a monument. And on the tiles, were the names of many WNY natives who died for the cause of freedom - some of the tiles had the names of father and son who had died in two different wars, or a grandfather and grandson. And on another tile, was the name of a young man I knew in high school who died in VietNam. I will never forget the moment in 1967 when I read of his death in the Buffalo News. And so, when I saw Charlie's name, the tears that had been brimming in my eyes, finally flowed. And I prayed.
Adding to the weekend is that God brought me a new friend. Somehow, in this huge place that we call cyber space, I found her blog. She is Anna, and can be found by clicking on her name in the comments from Saturday's post. When I get to be intelligent enough on this blogging thing, you'll see her in my link list - which will basically be a copy and paste list from my favorites. I call them Connections because that's what they do...they connect me to the awesome people who are out there. That would be all of you.
Blessings for your week my friends...God bless our troops.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for remembering on Tuesday, as well. You are an inspiration to me, Sue. While my own mother calls and asks how I am in sympathy I know that I find empathy here. My mother and you would surely get along~
Here, in NWFL, there is a park similar to the one in which you write. We visit there about once a month. The children look at the fish and the lizards, I look at the names, the dates, the history. The newly added "War on Terror, Operation Iraqi Freedon," so on, was added to the memorial this last few months. I was overwhelmed when I saw it for the fisrt time about a month ago. I pictured my grandchildren looking upon the plaque as I look at WWI and II, without a first hand knowledge or loved one away. What wars will they be fighting? Who will be lining the streets then?
Annabee