Sunday, April 01, 2007


Going Home.

This morning, as I got ready for church, I thought about the last time I was there. It had been such a busy morning - the choir sang that morning so I needed to be there early to rehearse; then after worship service there was a special meeting with Pastor before I went down to teach my class. After Sunday School was over, I was rushing because Ron and I were supposed to go to a wake for one of our friends after I got home from church. Until I fell - and all of the plans we had for that day, and for many days to come, were wiped out. Why hadn't I slowed down a bit?
So this morning, as I entered the church, I was a little bit cautious. Over the course of the past 5 weeks, I had received many cards and notes - and I knew that Pastor had been praying for me. But the one phone call I had expected to receive had not come and I was hurting a little - and confused.
As I greeted my Pastor this morning, I said "hi stranger!" And he turned and greeted me and gave me a hug. He has not been feeling well so both of us have been healing, but not in touch. I've missed him - we've been in ministry together for six years...before he was our Pastor, he came to our church during the summer of 2001 to fill in as worship leader when we were without a Pastor. We led the service together and became good friends. On the Sunday after 9/11 happened, he supported me as more than just a worship leader. He knew I had a daughter in the military and what that tragic day for our nation could mean for her...and for our family. When he became our Pastor 4 1/2 years ago, it was because we knew he could help heal our congregation from a great heartache. Our hearts had been broken by our full time Pastor and calling Garry back to be our worship leader was a step which was pre-ordained by God. Had he not come to our church, we would surely have been lost. Many, in fact, have found their way back to our church home because of his ministry and his enthusiasm.
It's been 5 weeks since Pastor and I have been in touch. The road back seemed so long during those weeks away. But this morning, I went home again...and it was like I've been there all along. His hug told me that. He is our Shepherd...but still my friend and my brother. God is good.
May He bless your week as He has already blessed mine.

1 comment:

Call Me Grandma said...

Happy Easter Sue!