Friday, April 27, 2007


All because two people fell in love....


Today was the funeral for my cousin Tina. It was one of the most touching, hopeful, beautiful funerals I have ever attended. Because that is who Tina was. Hopeful. Faith filled. Beautiful.

The Baptist church was filled, so many came to say good bye. There aren't any words that can describe my feelings so I won't try. But I don't know what non believers do - where do they get their hope and strength? I cannot imagine not being able to look forward to the promise God gives to us all.

Our family is scattered now - we used to be quite close. But today offered one of those rare moments for the cousins to see one another - to catch up, remember, and be thankful that our family had been blessed by Tina. It's odd - I haven't seen some of my cousins in a long long time. Weddings and funerals - mostly funerals lately. It's nobody's fault really - but I am more guilty than not. Life got complicated by "stuff." I forget what that stuff was - just the stuff of life. But I am determined to keep the ties connected now. And I am thankful that I have another chance. We look at each other, and we see that as we have gotten older, we have come to resemble our moms or our dads more and more. Tina's dad and my mom were brother and sister. Uncle Dean - he was one of the most fun loving guys you could know. Mom and Uncle Dean were two of nine children my grandma and grandpa raised. You can only imagine the number of kids and the grandkids and great grandkids (great great grandkids too) produced from those 9 brothers and sisters.
All because two people fell in love and from those roots, God just kept us growing.

Thank you Lord for the blessings of today - and the hope we have for every tomorrow.

1 comment:

Call Me Grandma said...

Isn't life amazing (God). From one tree all that fruit.
God certainly is awesome.
Gene and I took a walk yesterday and we talked about Dave. Gene is like me...we ask why? I told him someday we will know why, and I bet, God's explanation will be so simple.