Monday, April 09, 2007

HE SHOOTS - HE SCORES!!!

Well friends, it's Stanley Cup playoff time. We here in the Western New York area - and across the country and in Canada - are getting ready for our Buffalo Sabres to get started. It's the second season now - the first season started in October and, 82 games later, it ended last night. The second season begins this week - The regular season slate is wiped clean and everybody has the same chance as the other 15 teams who are playing.
Now you may have heard (drum roll please) that the Sabres had the best record in the league when the season ended on Sunday night. Hard fought, the wins not always pretty - but they got the job done. And for this they won home ice advantage throughout the playoffs. If you've ever been at HSBC arena during a Sabres hockey game, you'd know that home ice for the Sabres is a sweet thing.
Anyway, I am excited - and anybody here in WNY who ISN'T excited - or at least a little bit happy - is a rare bird. Even Ron - NOT a sports fan ( I think he is a closet sports fan) - is looking forward to watching the games on TV.
So who is your favorite team? Cathy, I would bet the Penguins are at the top of your list. Cat - hmmm - the Hurricanes? Kbug - ummm, the Dallas Stars?
Whoever your favorite team may be, I think hockey is one of the most exciting sports there is. It 's a blue collar sport - the players are paid well, but somehow, they are "touchable." And things can change so quickly in a hockey game. Not to mention these guys do such awesome stuff while on ice skates. THAT to me is incredible. HA!! If Ron reads this he is going to laugh out loud at the thought of seeing the likes of me (or himself) on ice skates. Now that is funny.
So if it's your thing, enjoy the playoffs. Nothing is a given - the Sabres might have the President's cup, but they better have the stamina too. And the playbook better have room for lots of spontaneity. (I'm sure that I spelled that wrong). May the best team win...but I'll just end by saying GO SABRES!!

2 comments:

kbug said...

Yes, indeed...Go Stars!!! My oldest son got me started watching hockey years back when he was still at home. I don't live for it, but do enjoy watching it.

I liked your post about the homecoming. I love homecomings. Go figure..... :) But I heard on the news yesterday that they might be extending quite a few troops in Iraq for up to 4 more months. I hate when that happens...it makes me think of how easily they could have told Seth that he would be staying longer when he was due to come home last year...and how easily they could extend his next tour. I know we're getting stretched thin as far as troops, but this just really sucks for those troops and their families. They were looking forward to a homecoming soon, and now it might be October. My heart goes out to them.....

Call Me Grandma said...

We are just glad we are keeping our Penquins. It was touch and go there for awhile, as to if whether they would stay in Pittsburgh or not.
My son Mike loves hockey. I can't tell you if Pittsburgh is any good this year or not.