Saturday, March 17, 2007


Luck of the Irish?

On this St. Patrick's Day, the time is winding down on my days spent at home - Monday morning I will be back at my desk at work, my leg propped up on a box. I have mastered using a cane instead of the walker, so that will make walking around a little bit easier and a lot less cumbersome. The past three weeks have passed quickly - though not without pain. I know that 6-12 months will pass before my knee is healed completely, but it's good to be well enough to return to work. There will be many tasks to greet me in my inbox but that's ok. I am fortunate to be returning so soon.

When I think of how painful this journey was when it began, I am so thankful for answered prayers for God's healing love. And for the care that Ron has given me. God sure has blessed me in that man.

I love you, honey.

So today and tomorrow, I will be doing a few simple chores around the house - dusting, picking up, getting rid of some of the clutter. Ron and I will make a pot of homemade sauce today and I will make a pan of lasagna too. It will help with dinner during the week next week. We are getting blasted with some more snow as the entire Eastern coast is experiencing a Noreaster. We always have snow on St. Patty's Day so this is just winter's last hurrah, right on schedule.

This morning's online news headlines ask: Did St. Patrick really drive snakes from Ireland?

Huh?

A long time ago, I was asked to do a short devotions for a gathering of our Ladies Guild at church. It was St. Patrick's Day so I decided to use that as the theme. Scott and Laurie were little then - but with both of them in tow, I went to the town library to get some information on St. Patrick (an experience if ever there was one as two year old Laurie kept finding books for me to read to her and Scott asking a million questions as he found dozens of dinosaur books-more up Ron's alley than mine).

St. Patrick is remembered best as bringing Christianity to Ireland by preaching the doctrine of the Trinity. Father, Son, Holy Spirit. That's what the Shamrock represents - the Triune God. Wearing a shamrock is not just an indicator of a day set aside in March to honor an Irish saint, but rather a sign of another heritage - Christianity. My mom was Irish - and proud of it. But more than Irish, she was Christian - dad was too. So today, when I put that Shamrock on, it's because I am grateful that I know how great it can be to be in an Irish family, but also the BLESSING it is to be a child of God.

Hope you have a great day wearin' the green.

Sue

1 comment:

Call Me Grandma said...

Glad to hear you'll be getting back to some of your old routine.
Happy St. Patrick's day to you.