Wednesday, July 30, 2008


She shoots...She SCORES!!

I love hockey - Buffalo Sabres hockey in particular - but I love it when our announcer, Rick Jeneret shouts (as only he can): "He shoots, he SCOOOORES."
It's my turn to say that...about Laurie. She got the unofficial (but for sure) word on Monday that the program she's worked so hard to be accepted into, well, accepted her. It will be posted soon but they have to shake things out, decide who goes when and details like that before they can officially notify her. She called me at work and told me and I, like the mother that I am, sat there and bawled like a baby. I am one for happy tears - I feel things like that very deeply - not because of pride so much (but you KNOW I am fiercely proud of all my children's accomplishments), but out of happiness to see my child get what she worked so long and hard to achieve. It was a long shot because so many are interested in the program and they accept so few. Because I am not only fiercely proud, but extremely careful in what I post about my soldiers, (it is, after all, the cyber world and anyone can read this) I am not going to say what it is that she will be training for. Soon enough I will spill it :).
When Laurie was promoted to SGT. , we were at the ceremony and I pinned her stripes on - they use sticky tape for those ceremonies - I was so nervous because the Colonel was there and I put it on upside down...comic relief in an otherwise very emotional moment. Poor Laurie - I started crying as soon as the NCOs came into the room with all the brass. She had her class A's on and LOOKED like a SGT...and like our daughter. Her eyes always smiling even when she is supposed to be dignified. She just can't lose the smile in her eyes. (I love that about her). THIS was our preemie baby girl?
Later, at dinner, we gave her our gift. I wanted to give her something that would commemorate the occasion without question...so that years later she could look at it and remember when we gave it to her. And so, I bought her a silver trinket box for her special jewelry - heart shaped and of course I had it engraved...it said simply:
To Laurie: An Army of One, with the date.
Like anything connected with the military, this won't be all fun and games. It will take all the strength we all have and a lot of special care of Kasey since he will be living with us for awhile while Laurie does her training. But God gave Laurie this opportunity and I am sure it will work. Once we sell the house and buy our RV, we'll travel to where Laurie will be and then Kasey can see her once or twice a week and realize that mommy is close by.
And so, my army of one just keeps the roller coaster going. Up and down, down and up...funny how you get used to something, isn't it?
Dear Laurie - you GO GIRL! We love you.
Thanks for letting me make tonight's post about Laurie...but somehow, I know you share our joy.
God bless our troops...and those of us who love them.

4 comments:

Elisha said...

Sue, I am so happy for Laurie and for all of you!

Anonymous said...

That is Fantastic News!!! What a joy! What a blessing!
Moments like those come but once, for you and for her. You may think those moments are replicas of others but I can assure you there is only one of each and none should be grouped together. Breath Deeply, my friend, for though this is not your accomplishment, this is your daughter. Congratulations on a job well done!
A

The Teacup Cottage said...

What great news! I'm happy for you both! I just wanted to let you know I gave you an award. Check out my page!

kbug said...

That's soooo exciting to hear that her dreams are about to come true...and I'm sure you won't mind one little bit keeping that precious little one while she attends her "thing." Can't wait to hear what it is...give her my congrats..... :)