Tuesday, August 12, 2008

We're out here!

Today at work I found out about a young girl who works in the office across the hallway - she's new to our organization, joining us this past spring. And until today, I did not know that she is a military sister...her brother is in the Army serving in Iraq - having gone there only 10 days after completing his AIT 5 months ago. Yesterday, his convoy was hit. His Staff SGT told him to sit in a humvee with two other men instead of where he usually sits. Moments later, their vehicle was hit. The SSGT was killed. The men on either side of her brother were both injured - not life threatening, but injured. And her brother was spared - not injured physically. But she said that, emotionally he is in very fragile condition. She was able to talk to him and her mom was able to talk to him as well - but he is very very upset.
So I told her that I am just across the hall if she needs to talk. After I talked to her and went back to my desk, it really hit me that soon Stephen will be over there. Please God, let me be strong at work especially and also when Kasey comes to live with us.
When I came home and told Ron about what happened at work, he said that it's so hard to know who is out there who is in the same boat. And when we find out about military families we need to make sure they know we are out here for them.
I've been gone for awhile - sorry about that. I was away this past weekend at a reunion of my dear friends who are - or were - military moms. We had a wonderful long weekend - tears when we hugged at the airport on Thursday and tears when we hugged good bye on Saturday night and Sunday. And in between times, much fun and laughter and tears.
Yup, we're out here alright. We just need to find each other so that we can help one another.
Thanks for being there...ummm, here.
God bless our troops - and those who love them.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I'm glad you had a good time at your reunion with the military moms.
It is hard sometimes to know who around shares the pain of someone in the military, but at least there is always someone to lean on.
HUGS,
Karen

Linda said...

You can sure see God's plan in this, it was not this young mans time to meet his maker. How special that you were able to have a reunion with other military moms. The time spent with them is always so precious.