Wednesday, August 20, 2008


It's almost that time.




This weekend I will go to the craft store and pay a visit to the ribbon department. We all know what color it will be, don't we?


Man oh man....it seemed like forever when the kids told us the deployment date months ago - and then of course it changed a few times (because the Army can do that), but now it's a for sure, so we are hunkering down for the long haul. It won't be long before Kasey arrives also, and I will save some of that yellow ribbon for him to tie around one of the front yard trees for his daddy. And we will wait together.


Last night, when I went to a local gift and party supply store to buy a couple of things for a party we had at work today, I saw some magnets at a counter near the register (Ron calls those conveniently placed displays "impulse alley"). I picked out two. One is pink and it says Happiness. The other is blue and it says FAITH. I took them to work today and I think placed them in good spots: the happiness one is above the "Army Strong" magnet; the FAITH one is next to my two star banner. That seems like a good place to keep that one. Next to my soldiers.


I had a weak moment the other day. As I was leaving work, I decided to stop in the rest room - my commute is a long one. I looked in the mirror as I washed my hands, and the circles under my eyes gave me away. Not always sleeping well these days, and all of a sudden I teared up and nearly started crying. Thankfully, no one came into the ladies room before I got out of there. Close call, eh?


Talked to Stephen's mom tonight - we are waaay too far away from each other in miles but we know that the phone bills in the next year will be a little bigger as we support each other. I am grateful we have each other - she loves Laurie so much, and she knows that we love Stephen more than words can say. They are soul mates -we both see that in our children.


And so, in the not too distant future, "that" post will greet you when you stop by. You know the one I mean, don't ya?
Meanwhile, I'm just gonna keep looking at my magnets.
Army Strong, Happiness, Faith, and my Two Star Banner.

Yeah, this is a good start, don't ya think?


God bless our troops.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have had many a pitty party this past month... one weak moment in the ladies room? Wow~ Super woman has nothin on you! Your plate is full, Sue. My advice? Eat slowly~ You'll enjoy far more than you'll want to spit back onto the plate. And if it is for you as it is for me, even if it is pre-chewed, you'll have to swallow it any how. Our Pastor actually gave us this quote at church the other day.... "If you have to eat a frog you shoudn't look at it too long!" I am sure you'll be able! Not perfect, not fautly, ABLE!
Now go get that ribbon!!!

Karen said...

Oh, Sue my friend, my heart is heavy with yours BUT you aren't weak at all, you are strong and will remain that way through all of this. It won't be easy but your faith and friends and family are there with you all the way.
HUGS,
Karen

Unknown said...

Life without emotion isn't life.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate, maybe even envy, your candor.

Ma said...

Sue,

I've been down that journey. I will be with you and especially Stephen every step of the way praying. My heart is very heavy right now after reading your post. Yes, it's a long journey. All I can do is pray and that I will.

Betsy

Elisha said...

MY prayers are with you and Stephen and rest of the family as always.

Linda said...

I still have a yellow ribbon on one of my trees in the front yard for all our soldiers. Been up there since OIF first started. Luckily the other trees ribbon came down when Jon came home I hope I never have to put another one on that tree.
Our prayers go with Stephen