Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Some things DO change.

We had a nice time yesterday at our house - a nice celebration! It was Scott's 33rd birthday - and it was cause for celebration. Last year at this time, he was in Washington state - I didn't know what to do that day. We spoke to him on the phone - had sent him a package which in itself was a small miracle since he had just moved out there less than 2 weeks prior and I really had to scramble to get it there - no way would I not have my oldest child thinking I didn't remember his birthday. We are kind of resigned to not being able to celebrate in the same room together when Laurie and Stephen have birthdays, (not that we ever have gotten used to it) but Scott is different. He has always just enjoyed birthdays at the house.
But last night, he was right there at the dinner table. We had a nice roast beef dinner, pineapple upside down cake that I had made Sunday night cause it's his favorite and I wasn't gonna buy it for him when I could just as easily make it the night before. And of course Ambrosia - it was a toss up between homemade applesauce and ambrosia...but I got all the fruit ready Sunday night and then just whipped the cream and folded the fruit in when I got home from work. It was a good dinner and his new "friend" was there for dinner too. Even Ron told her how nice it was to have her there for the celebration. And of course Binker was there to help blow out the candles.
So - what has changed? Well, I had asked Scott what he wanted for his birthday and he didn't know. HUH? Who was this man and what did he do with my son? No Play Station games? Does he have all the Metallica CDs?
No, this young man wanted things that he could use for when he gets an apartment - PRACTICAL things? Towels, potholders, dish towels. Oh maybe a teeshirt but mostly stuff for the apartment. And so, some things DO change.
The other thing that has changed is his attitude. When we were talking the other day, I said how different - and how much nicer - this birthday would be over last year. And he said, "you know, I have everything I need now. Starting with Veronica."
Thank you God.
Happy Birthday Scottie - Dad and I love you very much.

Blessings my friends. Thanks for stopping by.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Happy Birthday Scott :)
Today is my sisters 58th BD...where has the time gone

Elisha said...

Happy birthday to Scott!

sounds like you had a wonderful birthday celebration.

Anonymous said...

Funny, Sue... Your son and I seem to be on the same page right now! Read todays post and you'll know what I mean...
All my love~ And many many thanks that you are in my life!
A

kbug said...

Happy birthday Scott!! We have yet to celebrate my oldest boy's birthday...it was last Friday, but we couldn't all get together that day...then we were gone for the weekend. Sooooo...maybe this weekend. I'm glad that everything is coming together for your son. He deserves some happiness, just like you do. Stay strong, Mom... :)