Saturday, August 16, 2008


An anniversary - of sorts. And I still believe.


One year ago last night, a very sad mom and dad took their son to the bus station and put him on a bus which would take him cross country and away from us all. He was in a marriage that was not working and wanted to get as far away as possible - which he accomplished.

Of course that mom and dad were Ron and I, and the son was Scott. I'll never forget the sight and the feeling in our hearts as we watched the bus pull away into the night. I only cried after it pulled away and was out of sight. It was nearly midnight and it was a quiet ride that Ron and I made home from Buffalo. I fell asleep pretty quickly after saying my prayers, but during the night I awoke several times, thinking, "I wonder where he is now."

And you no doubt have all had those mornings when you awake and think - just for an instant - "what is this weight on my heart?" and yet before you even open your eyes, you remember.

I've had several of those mornings - being a military mom and all - and the morning after Scott left was indeed one of them. But I got up and showered and dressed and put my makeup on (really needed the makeup that day), and went to work. Both of my supervisors said that they had been thinking of me the night before and I said that it had gone as well as it could have....and started the work that was on my desk. At lunchtime, my phone rang, and the number on the caller id was Scott's cell phone. He was fine, enjoying the trip, tired of sitting though. But I let that phone call set the pace for my feelings. After that I missed him, but somehow knew he would be ok.

Less than 3 weeks later, he would be on an airplane headed home...and has been here ever since.

And so, last night - unlike a year ago - my sleep was peaceful and uninterrupted. And this morning, as he sleeps upstairs, and the Binker watches Nogin, I am grateful for the year that has passed. He is looking for an apartment and will move out shortly.

As we look ahead we know that, for our family, there will be other nights - and mornings - like those we experienced a year ago.
A long time ago, when the kids were little and we were going through some tough times, Ron gave me a plaque with the serenity prayer on it. And I still believe that God is granting us all that we need - for every single day, but especially during those times when we are sending our son on his way to the other side of the country, or when a daughter leaves for basic training. or when our loved ones are off to war. I still believe in His goodness, and grace, and perfect will.
May He be ever close to you not just during those long nights and difficult mornings - but every single day.

God bless our troops.

2 comments:

kbug said...

I do love that saying...it's one of the things that got me through Seth's last deployment...and it is getting me through this one as well.

Call Me Grandma said...

Hi Sue long time no see.

If your a parent you need to remember those words. Thanks for the reminder.