Thursday, July 17, 2008

Fine Things.


What is it that we all consider "fine things?" The best that money can buy? Or a soft cashmere sweater adorned by a set of cultured pearls? A home with everything you could possibly want or need?
For me, I am learning quickly the fine things in life. When we went out to see the kids, I took with me the keepsake box with some of the things I wanted to give Laurie - trinkets her grandma used to wear; and others which were not tangible, but were the stories that went with the things I took to Laurie. There was the sapphire and diamond engagement ring that Ron's mom got from her second husband...mom was so funny about that...saying that she wished she would have gotten a new ring from him instead of a "used" ring. Mom kind of lost the idea behind the heirloom that Eddie had slipped on her finger when he proposed. Laurie and I enjoyed a good chuckle over that, remembering how mom could be sometimes. And then there were the earrings that mom wore on our wedding day. I thought Laurie should have them. She proably won't wear them since they are a little outdated and they are clip ons, but it's something of grandma's and something from our wedding day that she can hold on to.
There were a few of my things in that keepsake box as well - my first birthstone ring for example. Aquamarine. Laurie can wear that...her fingers are so tiny.
So tonight, I was in the basement trying to hoe things out and get some things up for this weekend's garage sale. But I kept finding all these priceless things that I just put back in the cabinet down there.
What are fine things? A mug that says #1 Mom with the handle broken off and stains in it from the paints the kids used for their crafts. A few tears with that one - I'm hopeless that way. There was the plant holder - blue, with the words BABY BOY on it - this from the dish garden I received when I gave birth to Scott 33 years ago. I kept that too...yeah, more tears.
I guess what I am saying is that fine things are what you treasure. Things from the past - not that I want to go back to the past...but I never want to forget it either. SO many memories.
When I look Two Star Banner in our front window, I'm reminded of the little girl who first picked that #1 Mom mug out in a gift shop for Mother's day one year, and then used it for rinsing her brush in as she worked with water colors. I see a little boy's handmade cards and the awkward, funny shaped letters that spelled out "I love you Mom."
Fine things...they may not be lavish or expensive...but to me, they are priceless.
God bless our troops...they are treasures, and priceless.
Hugs,
Sue

2 comments:

Karen said...

I have "Fine Things" similar to yours....I'm not sure how you are going to part with them....What a great blog this time,makes you think about the Fine Things in your own life...
HUGS,
KAren

Elisha said...

I am lucky enough to be collecting those fine things you so eloquently described right now. Dean starts kindergarten August 12th and I know there will be so many more wonderful fine things for me to treasure. I just love them.