Saturday, July 26, 2008

NOW we're getting someplace! (and drifting along with the tumbling tumbleweed).

Well, it's been a good day. Slept in a little bit, but not too late. Got up and made coffee and caught up on my emails a bit. Then the day began. Of course The Binker is here this weekend so that means my to do list is not always done in the order of importance because there's always...
"can I have some juice, Nana? I want berry juice please." Or "Is it lunch time Nana? I want baloney and pickles and some grapes and oranges..." (mandarin oranges - she loves them and Ron puts a black V on the top of the can with a Sharpie so she thinks they are made just for her).
So, today being my friend's birthday, I needed to make her cake. This is my friend who lives next door...we've been making birthday treats for each other for 28 years...since the first year we moved in....I took her over some cuppies that year (a family phrase for cupcakes from way back) and we've been exchanging ever since. Not always a cake...last year I made her my specialty..lemon chiffon pie with fresh whipped cream on top. This year it was my grandma's recipe: Bridge Surprise Cake...it's a wonderful recipe my grandma made up for the ladies in her bridge club on Thursday afternoons. It's a family recipe, about 80 years old...sorry, can't share. Teehee.
Anyway, I made a potato salad this morning too - we haven't had one all summer so I thought it would be good for the weekend since Ron is grilling out tonight and tomorrow. Once that went into the fridge, I went down in the basement to see where to start. We are doing the basement first and then "working up" through the rest of the house. I got lots into the garbage today - showed no mercy, so to speak....got rid of alot. Tomorrow will be the tough part...going through all the stuff I have saved over the years...and trying to see if it's all "necessary." Men think differently and so Ron isn't sure that I "need" to keep all these things. We'll see tomorrow. But we ARE getting someplace with the "stuff."
What's with the tumbleweed you may ask? Well, one year when we were on our way home from visiting the kids, Ron decided he needed to pick up some of that tumbleweed that you see drifting along the highway in the plains states. A cowboy movie fan from way back, he had to have some of it. And so, it's gone back and forth from our tool shed in the back of the garage, to the basement train room where the intention was to use it as trees and bushes along the highways of his model railroad. So I saw it lying on the floor of the train room and asked him what we were going to do with it (half expecting him to say we were going to keep it and take it with us in the RV). He said, with a sheepish grin, that he couldn't just throw it out, but wanted to "set it free" along the highway somewhere. Hmmm, brings an old cowboy song to mind...oh and by the way, I believe that we picked up the tumbleweed on the same trip that we listened to a tape of cowboy music. This year's trip we listened to Roy Orbison and Fleetwood Mack (thank God :).
Drifting along with the tumbling tumbleweed here...thanks for stopping in pard'ners.

God bless our troops.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Sue,
Your blog always puts a smile on my face.....Thanks you
HUGS,
Karen