Tuesday, July 15, 2008


From the mountains...to the prairies.

I guess there's no way I can put into words the wonder of all that we saw on this vacation. Hiking snowcapped mountain paths, and walking along the continental divide. Other times we saw the wheat and other crops growing row upon row, mile after mile. Green grass for as far as the eye could see and lakes and creeks running under bridges - bridges of steel and cement with cars whizzing by and trucks roaring past, sometimes with their air brakes whooshing; or small wooden bridges that you could only walk over. There were bridges made of split logs that we walked over to get to the other side of a stream - balancing so that we didn't slip off and get a "hot foot." Seeing elk and deer, old couples, young couples, teenagers just far enough enough ahead of their parents to make them feel independent (yet when they got to the gift shops they crowded around their parents to request money); and young children riding on their daddy's shoulders or in a stroller laden with diaper bag, juice boxes with those little straws sticking up, and mom and dad's water bottles.
There were marathon games of Rummikub with Laurie and Stephen - Kasey "helping" with the tiles as we concentrated on who was adding what numbers to the groupings on the table. Coffee and beer, water and juice, sometimes Jim Beam showed up...mostly just bottled water was the drink of choice. I think the best part of the whole week was watching my children and their son enjoy being a family. Laurie and Stephen are very disciplined with Kasey - but the love is over flowing and Kasey returns the adoration and love his parents have for him. I could watch them forever and not tire of this sight.
Saturday night, when I knew the hours were winding down and the time was drawing near to say goodnight, Ron and I called the kids and Kasey into the basement where their bedroom was and we said our thank yous for a wonderful week...and tried to express in words just how much we love them. I tried to tell Stephen everything I needed to tell him, but couldn't. The words couldn't get past the lump in my throat. Somehow, I think that he knows what I was trying to say. And so I just hugged him.
How is Kasey about his daddy's upcoming deployment? Well, one day when we were looking at RVs and speedboats, Kasey announced that he was going to buy his daddy a speedboat.
"But first," he said, "daddy has to go get the bad guys. Then when he comes home, I'll buy his boat." These words from the lips of a 3 year old boy.
From time to time I may mention this trip - it was peaceful and blessed. God was everywhere in the beauty of everything - and in the love shared by our family.
Back to work tomorrow - the mountains and the prairies will end up as wall paper on my computer as a backdrop for the one picture out of hundreds that best captures the memories of the week. No doubt it will be one of the kids with Kasey with their ever present smiles reflecting their love and happiness as a family.
Ron and I are so blessed...and we had all the time together on the road as well.
God bless America - she holds many wonders. Including the troops who protect her.
Dear God, bless them.

3 comments:

Ma said...

This was beautiful. I just want to cry. I am so glad you have it in writing so during the deployment you can just go back and read it over and over.

You are so right....please God...bless our troops.

Betsy
www.marciabeth.blogspot.com

Karen said...

What a beautiful way with words you have......Thank you
HUGS,
Karen

Call Me Grandma said...

Glad you had a great time. Our country is beautiful. It is worth fighting for.
Prayer going out to Stephen for a safe and speedy return.
Prayers and hugs to all of you.