Thursday, August 16, 2007

Leaving the light on.

Sometimes, when I think of all the things my mom and dad did for us as kids, one of the nicest and comforting things was that they left the porch light on for us when we were out at night. It made it so much easier for our friends dads and moms to find the house late at night - we could always say, 'There! It's the one with the light on.'
Scott left last night with a one way ticket headed west. It wasn't an easy time but I didn't cry at the bus station. God knows there have been tears enough to fill an ocean - no, make that TWO oceans - the past several weeks. But in the end, although he is leaving home and family, this trip will be something that will make a profound difference in his life. I can't explain it - wish so bad that I could, just know that he will be back after he figures things out. A mom knows these things - not because she is fooling herself into thinking this, she just knows.
And so, that light will be burning - not in the literal sense but figuratively. The light of hope doesn't go out when your kids are out of sight - it's just that you miss them so much that it feels like it will never shine again.
He just called - the usual nightly phone call, but oh tonight it was anything but ritual. He had adventures to share about the trip...said that I packed so many chocolate chip cookies that he shared them with other travelers. :) Dear Lord, I miss him so. But the light is brighter than it was an hour ago. And it was a good way to end the day.
In a little while, when I finally get some sleep, I will be thanking God for the night light He gave me with Scott's phone call. If I wake in the darkness, it'll be ok. Really it will.
Thank you Jesus.
God bless our troops.

1 comment:

Cheese said...

WooHoo I finally figured out how to leave a comment!

Sue, ya know how much I love ya and am praying for this whole Scott situation.

You will not be going through this alone.

Love,
cheese