Sunday, August 05, 2007

Face it.

My last post told you about Scott and Tina - their struggle, and of course the ripple effect on this mother's heart. It's not getting any better, and they've made the decision to separate. Scott has, in fact, accepted a job out of state and will be leaving in a week or two. It's so hard to imagine Scott not being here...impossible to imagine that no one will answer when Veronica calls out for "dadee." But he isn't leaving to abandon her, this is something he has agonized over and yet feels that he must do.
And I am facing it - (she says with conviction). Well, at least I am coming to terms with it. As I have told Ron...and my dearest friends...when Laurie left for the military 9 years ago, I thought I was going to die. For a whole year, as she was on delayed entry, all I could think about was that Laurie was leaving home. But I didn't die - actually, we have been blessed. She is a very happy young woman - a wife, and a mom, and oh yes, a soldier too. And so I need to remember that as Scott prepares to move across the country. I will not die. My heart might crumble in a few spots, but I will be ok. Eventually. Because Scott will be ok, and he won't be gone forever. I have a friend Cathy who lost her son last year. She blogs and I know that some days she gets through by putting one foot in front of the other and trusts the Lord to keep them on the path. She has a mountain top faith and she is very honest about missing her son. We don't know if the hurt will ever go away, but we know that He is working on our hearts every moment of every day to make it better.
A good friend of mine passed away this weekend. She was 80, the mom of one of my dearest friends, and a sister in Christ. She has suffered a long time and so deserves the Victory feast that she's enjoying now. I'll miss her, but knowing where she is now, it would be selfish to want her back. I cannot imagine anything in this world greater than seeing face to face what, as Paul wrote, we only see dimly now.
Times like these happen to us all - sometimes it seems like everything happens at one time...or one thing after another. They often seem like a bitter pill to swallow. I know the feeling.
Each and every day though, God helps me to remember what He asked His Son to do. His Son who had never sinned, never did an unkind thing, only worked and lived, taught and ministered to throngs of people who would eventually be the ones to help nail Him to the cross. Jesus. He asked to be spared that cup - and yet prayed that His Father's will be done. In church this morning I ate the body and drank the blood of Jesus...not a bitter pill, but rather redemption because by God's grace, I have faith in this man Jesus. A saving faith - however tiny on those really really bad days, He has ordained that it is big enough.

And, also by God's grace, we are given the blessing to bear all things through Christ. To face it and be reconciled to these things He asks us to bear. For we do not bear these burdens alone.
This faith that He has given us - well, it keeps the light on in our hearts and helps us to wait for the answers to our prayers. We know that, in His time, each one will be answered.
God bless our troops and those of us who wait.
Sue

3 comments:

Karen said...

My heart and prayers are with you all through this difficult time
BIG HUGS,
Karen

kbug said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the separation...it truly must tear your heart out . But like you said...you will survive this, and so will your son...and you will lean on God to get through it like you always do. Faith sees us through so many things. Blessings on you and your family... and lots of hugs..... :)

Call Me Grandma said...

Things will be okay. I am glad I can shine some good light out of my bitter cup. If I have learned one thing, no matter what happens in our life, our life does go on.
I like you can always look back at things that have happened that I thought was the end of the world, when really it was just the beginning of some new phase.
That is the nice thing about being 59. You finally realize there is always tomorrow and a new day.