Sunday, June 29, 2008


On being a Two Star Mom



I looked back at some of my old posts this weekend - since we are coming up on two years since Two Star Mom hit the blogging world. With all that has happened in our lives since Laurie first came home with the "I'm going to join the Army" announcement nearly 11 years ago, I was reminded yesterday during the garage sale that there are a lot of us out there. It's comforting to know that this sense of overwhelming pride/love/fear/OH MAN HERE WE GO AGAIN is felt by so many other parents. Today, as we wait for Laurie's call and hopefully to find out if she made the cut for the program she's been trying to get into, I am grateful for our very last garage sale customers yesterday. A dad - younger than Ron and I - but with the gray hair that so often comes with being a parent (a military parent specifically:), his son - serving in the Army now for 9 years and the son's wife who reminded me so much of Laurie - freckles, ponytail and all - now a veteran after serving in the Army as well. The dad said, "we saw your Army stickers and decided to stop." It wasn't difficult at all to get into a conversation - about Pride/love/fear and OH MAN HERE WE GO AGAIN. :)

The son and his wife served in Iraq at the same time - together in the same city but not in the same unit. So they were able to see each other, and their parents feared for them both at the same time (a familiar story to this mom's heart except that Laurie and Stephen didn't see or hear from each other for 5 months during the time they were over there together).
And so, we spoke to these two young people as we speak to all soldiers. Thankful, with respect and with honor. They are after all, the best of the best our nation has. And when they left, although they hadn't purchased anything, we were richer by far in having met them.

And THIS two star mom is grateful for each new day that I get to BE a two star mom. It's not easy, but it's easier to be the mom rather than live the life my children lead. And it's a strengthener of faith and trust. I saw a lady this morning at church - I posted about her grandson several months back - a Marine who came back from Iraq and is now going to Afghanistan amidst rumors in the news that Iraq is safer than Afghanistan. It's not easy-but we step out in Faith and with Trust in our Triune God. Our Father the Creator who restores the faith we need to get by each day. His Son Jesus - our reason for the trust we have in God's perfect will, and the Holy Spirit - who guides us each and every day in the way we should go.

Stepping out in faith isn't always easy - but we aren't doing it alone. We have our family and friends, and the military family of friends who walk in our shoes, yet are each in a unique situation.

I try to always remember that my support system sometimes need me as THEIR support system too in other matters of life that are important to them.

And I lean on my Friend who is always with me. With US - how does He manage all that?

I don't know...but I don't question it. This two star mom is just grateful - for all of you, a gift from the Father.

Sometimes, when it seems to be too much, our Father lets me crawl onto His lap to rest. It's a reassurance that all is well. And truly, it is, isn't it?
God bless you all.
Two Star Mom

3 comments:

Call Me Grandma said...

Yes, it is alright. I thank God for the faith and trust I have in Him. I know that there is nothing in this world that I cannot get through. His word and promise is the only thing that sustains me.
Beautiful post Sue.

Anonymous said...

Well, my friend, you have reached down into my heart and touched me once again. You are beautiful.
I am off for a few weeks to Home and will not speak with you before your travels. Good luck, God-Speed! I will miss you... See you soon. Annabee

kbug said...

Indeed, there are times when all we have is our faith and prayer. I can't count the times I've had to let go of my sons and trust in God to see them through whatever they were doing...whether it be climbing to the top of the tallest tree in the yard or going off to war. I hate to think where I would be without my faith. Blessings, my friend..... :)