Saturday, June 14, 2008


Long may she wave!



Today is flag day - a day that Americans sometimes forget in the busy-ness of life. But indeed, she flies regardless of whether we remember June 14th is the day to honor her.

We took Veronica to Chuck E Cheese's today and I noticed something. There were a LOT of people - younger people in their 20's and 30's who had shirts on that had a flag on it. Some shirts faded - tried and true to their owners like the picture that was on it - but flags just the same. It felt good to see it. I wore my red shirt with America written across it in white, and my blue jeans and white shirtjac. You better believe I'd remember today.

It's also the 233rd birthday of the US Army. Happy Birthday to the best army in the world - and to the soldiers who are the best of the best. And this two star mom is grateful for everyone who stands up to volunteer to defend our nation. It's truly an Army of one - and each and every soldier is the Army.

Laurie and Kasey arrived where Stephen is today - they will have several weeks together before Stephen is deployed. He is a proud soldier - proud of the flag and the country he defends. I am trying to think of something I can take to him when we go out there in a couple of weeks. I don't know what I can give him to let him know how proud we are and how deeply we love him. God will help me on that - I am trusting in that.

Also, on June 14th, I wish my dear friend Arkansas Sue a Happy Birthday. There is a group of us military moms who call her that because her name is Sue (nice name) and she lives in, well, Arkansas. There's a funny story of how she got her name, the same story that made me end up as Suelaurie amongst our closeknit group of friends. We called each other that once, and it has stuck for more than 6 years.
God Bless America and the troops who keep her free.

5 comments:

kbug said...

I just read back through a few of your past posts and came across the one titled "Taking Flight." I love that post and can certainly relate. We do, indeed, see things the same way...watching our children grow up and take flight...yet always being here for them if they need to return to the nest for a while to get their bearings. May God always bless their journeys, and ours, wherever they may lead. Blessings on you and your family, my friend... :)

Elisha said...

My flag pole was broke in half during our last storm and I have not been able to buy a new one yet so my flag unfortunately did not fly on Flag Day however you can be sure I wore a flag on my shirt that day and remembered the importance of the day.

Glad to hear you saw so many people who remembered with us.

Anonymous said...

Good morning, my friend. I caught up on your blog this am... company and a lightning storm has kept me away from the puter for a week or so, so I have had to play catch up this morning. I am glad to have things back to normal... not glad to see my company go. Bitter sweet, as they say.
I am going to try and compile my thoughts and memories of the week and place it in my blog complete with pictures... check maybe tomorrow~ I have many corners of life to sweep today, I hope to get to them all!
Happy birthday, Veronica! 4 is a fun age!
Thank you for being you~
Annabee

Call Me Grandma said...

My flag is always flying on my flag pole in the front yard. I bought a new flag shirt at walmart and wore it on flag day.
I even had it on yesterday June 20th. No particular reason...except I am proud of what it stands for.

Linda said...

A very Happy Birthday to our sweet Arkansas Sue :) I often think of her and wonder how they are doing. Sure do miss those days. I can'
t believe 6 years have flown by so fast!!!!