Wednesday, June 11, 2008


Borning Cry



Today is Veronica's birthday and she is 4 years old. I saw her come into this world and was the fourth person to hold her - after Tina, Scott, and the nurse. The beauty of God's love all wrapped up in a tiny little baby girl. She was blue because the cord was around her neck, but she pinked up really quick and cried with vigor - as if to say, "ok, what am I doing in this cold room? I WAS nice and warm just a few minutes ago!"

Scott and I had been with Tina all during the night before - the room WAS cold, and as Tina slept peacefully with the intravenous drip quietly going to work to induce her labor, Scott and I were together, but alone with our thoughts - since talking would have woken Tina up. They had allowed me to say a prayer with them before Tina slept, and I was thankful for that privilege.

And so, finally, after a full day of labor, Veronica (we now call her the Binker for some unknown reason) was born shortly after 6 pm. Funny but usually you can't tell who a baby looks like when they are first born. But Veronica was just a dark haired Scott - it was like going back 30 years as I remembered the day he was born - and my red headed boy who had REALLY not wanted to arrive. After 10 full months, he finally did.

Sorry, I digress.

There is a song we sing in church during baptisms, and oddly enough, during funerals as well. It's called Borning Cry, written by John Ylvisaker, and it is God speaking to us about how He is there when we are born...and watches our lives unfold. It goes from birth, to youth, speaks of middle age, and finally, how He is with us when we are old. I cry buckets when we sing this song and I mean buckets. It just tells such a story.

And so today, as He has been since she was conceived, the Father is watching our Binker. Our Princess, as she so often proclaims herself. :) He has a lot of watching to do now - no doubt his eyes are always busy as she runs here and there in play. Scott and Tina are taking her bowling tonight and on Saturday we will have a little party for her.

Put Borning Cry into your browser sometime - read the words and remember them. They are not just words to sing on special occasions, but all of our lives.

Happy Birthday Binker - we love you!

God bless our troops and those who love them.

2 comments:

Call Me Grandma said...

Happy Birthday Veronica. I remember when she was born. It seemed like yesterday.
May God Bless Veronica with many, many happy birthdays.

I will google the song. Maybe I'll find a new song to use in church?

Linda said...

Happy Birthday Veronica
I had never heard of the song Sue so I googled it...very beautiful