Tuesday, July 28, 2009


Can I Call You When Daddy Comes Home?


The other day, Ron and Kasey were talking about the fact that Stephen will be home soon. Kasey was happy, of course, but then got very pensive. Ron said, "what's wrong, Buddy?"
And Kasey said, "But Grandpa....can I call you when my daddy gets home?"
Ron told him that we would BE HERE when his daddy comes home. And Kasey said,
"No, No. I mean after daddy gets home and you and grandma go to live in the desert, can I still call and talk to you and grandma?" I guess we've grown on him a bit in the last 9 months. This makes me smile.
He's been asking a lot lately why we have to go live in the desert (Arizona). Ron doesn't really have a better answer other than, "well, Buddy, that's where Grandma and Grandpa want to be for the winter." (jury is still out on that one as far as grandma is concerned :). Grandma sure wouldn't mind a Colorado winter...very few snow storms in this area of CO. So this will be up for discussion in the weeks to come.
When I hear Kasey's little voice asking such serious questions - and telling us that he will miss us, I am so grateful for the wonderful experience we've had with Kasey. The ups and a fair amount of downs too as Kasey has grown into a more independent little boy, have kept us happy and busy and fulfilled.
"Can I call you when my daddy comes home?"
Kasey, there won't be a moment when we won't be thinking of you and hoping to hear your little voice. It's a sound I could never do without.
Thank you, Lord for the blessing of this little boy.
God bless our troops, and those who wait.

4 comments:

Elisha said...

What a sweet and thoughtful little boy.

Ma said...

What a beautiful story. You will be glad some day that you recorded it. Defintely brought tears to my eyes!

Karen said...

Out of the mouths of babes....I can just imagine the heart strings that were tugged with those words. What a great picture of Ron and Kasey.
HUGS,
Karen

kbug said...

So bittersweet...looking forward to Stephen being safe at home, but knowing that's when you'll have to give up Kasey. Those little guys are so addictive. I just returned from a long weekend with Seth, Katie, and Sawyer...they needed a babysitter so they could go to what will be their last military ball and I jumped all over that. I so enjoy spending time with Sawyer. I've only been home a couple of days but I already miss him...his laugh, his crooked little smile, chasing him around the coffee table as he cackles in delight, his sweet snuggly hugs. I'm afraid we're both goners...but what a way to go!!!

I vote for wintering in Colorado, too, ny friend..... :)