Tuesday, July 14, 2009

As Beautiful as Ever.


This morning, Ron and I were driving about town, and always, the mountains were in view. They are so majestic - and it caused me to remember that America the Beautiful was inspired by a visit to the top of a mountain here in CO. As I thought about that, it brought to mind 9/11. and perhaps one of the most poignant moments of that day. It was when so many of our government leaders - of both parties - gathered on the Capital steps in Washington DC and sang God Bless America- united in the tragedy that our nation had endured that day. I have a lot of trouble singing those songs because of the lump that forms in my throat and the tears that cloud my eyes. But I always manage to get through them.
We are a proud nation - hopefully not a boastful pride - but a pride which makes our hearts swell with thanksgiving at being one of America's citizens. And when I see our military men and women dressed in their BDUs, going around town - banking, shopping, errands that we all do - it just causes me to be proud of all of them. Over and over again.
And when I look at them I wonder...is he or she a veteran of the Iraqi war? Are they scheduled for deployment? Do they have children who have missed them - or who will need to say goodbye in the near future?
We all do our part to keep America who she is, live good lives and help one another if a need arises. But the men and women in the Armed Forces give a lot more. Some of their sacrifices are known by those of us who love them, but even we can't grasp the magnitude of everything they have given up...including the families of those who have given the ultimate sacrifice. They give their lives every single day...may their families know it is not in vain. Nor will they ever be forgotten.
This is because the America they fight and die for is still free. And beautiful.
God bless our troops and those who love them.
Thanks for stopping by.
Sue

1 comment:

Ma said...

Sue,

Thank you for the sacrifice you have made for our country. I respect you so much and you are so eloquent in describing how you feel.

Yes, God Bless America and God Bless Our Troops.