Friday, May 01, 2009

Ummm, Doc, can you help me please?


Hmmm. No, this isn't a repeat post. Last night, I had an early dinner (soup, sandwich PLAIN lemonade) with my friend and her little 8 month old daughter (she's gorgeous and friendly and smiley) and then stopped at Tim Horton's for some decaf coffee and some donut holes for Kasey.
When I got home, Kasey was talking to his mommy. Happy that I hadn't missed her call, I put my stuff down and went over to sit down. Kasey was just saying his goodbyes so I took the phone when he handed it to me and started talking to Laurie. Enter KLUTZ. I lost my balance as I was sitting down in the chair. The rest is kind of a blur...I fell, hitting my back on the cement ledge around the fireplace, bounced off the ledge and landed on the floor. Couldn't breathe, couldn't talk, couldn't holler for help or tell Laurie I was ok. I could hear Laurie saying - "hello, hello - are you there, mom?" And then I heard Kasey say to Ron, "what's the matter with Grandma? " Enter Sir Lancelot (Ron) who was asking me why I was on the floor, why I couldn't talk, what was the matter with me. One word answer: "FELL!" I couldn't tell him what happened - he just thought I fell. So, he hung up the phone - Laurie had hung up by then and two seconds later the phone rang and it was her - she thought she got disconnected. Ron told her that her mother fell and was trying to decide whether or not to get up off the floor.
So he said that I would talk to her today.
Enter pain. Shock is gone, pain is setting in. I got to the couch - Kasey runs to get his favorite blankie and says, "here grandma, this will make you cozy." (Don't you LOVE little kids? They offer so much comfort in so few words).
Long story short, I went to bed at 10 pm, woke up at 1:30 am and Ron helped me out to the recliner where I slept for four hours. This morning I felt better except for the spasms of pain in my rib cage. One visit to my favorite family doctor in the whole wide world, a visit to the xray place, and voila! 2 broken ribs, but my lung wasn't punctured.
Six weeks and I should be fine. But he gave me a couple of prescriptions for meds. He did say the packing, traveling, etc., wasn't going to be easy. Oh, well. When I think of how serious it could have been, it's really ok.
Today is Laurie's birthday - 29 for the first time. How did so many years go by? We called her first thing this morning so Kasey could say Happy Birthday to mommy. She had gotten her birthday box yesterday so that was the first thing she did when she got up. (this from the girl who said 'I don't need a THING.') I love sending birthday surprises, don't you? Even if they don't need anything - it's important to say to them: I NEED to tell you that I love you on your birthday and always.
Ron and Kasey should be home soon with Kasey's movies for the weekend. Bless his heart - and his grandpa's too. How blessed am I to have them here? No words to describe that blessing.
Have a good weekend everyone.
Message to self: try to stay upright. :)
God bless our troops.

6 comments:

Karen said...

Oh No , but I'm happy to hear you didn't puncture a lung with the broken ribs. Take it easy,let the "men" help.
HUGS,
Karen

Linda said...

Oh My!!! You sure have had your unfortunate mishaps. I hope you feel better soon. Just take it easy. I remember when Frank broke a couple of ribs and he wasnt feeling good for weeks. The relaxer chair was his bed for a couple of months because it was too hard to sleep in the bed. Take care my friend hope you feel better soon.

The Teacup Cottage said...

Oh, Sweetie, that sounds aweful! I too am a klutz and can related. I hope you start to feel better soon!

SUE said...

Oh Gosh!
Sorry to read you fell and have broken ribs. Like you say though, at least its not as bad as it could have been. Stay safe and take care of yourself!!
((huggles))

kbug said...

OMG, you've got to stop doing that stuff. Those ribs are gonna hurt for a while...been there, done that, WITH a punctured lung, and hurt for a long time. Enjoy the lovin' you get from Kasey, though, there's nothing better than a hug from a little one to make you feel better..... :)

Call Me Grandma said...

Things like that always happen at the wrong time. I guess there is never a right time, but you need to be in one piece to pack things.
I hope you are up and at em in no time.