Thursday, February 26, 2009

It's time.

Yesterday morning I went into work with a really great feeling. I had made one of the most important decisions of my life and it felt good - my shoulders feel a lot less burdened by wondering when exactly I would make this choice. And so, when my supervisor came in and started to unlock her office door, she looked at me and knew that I had something to tell her - and something to give her. It was my notice of retirement - the paperwork was submitted and it was time to take the step. I cried like a baby when I gave it to her. I am hopeless.
You know, it felt more like a giant leap than a step, but I took it anyway. And so, in just a few weeks, my time at the university will be done, my desk will finally be empty, and I can walk away knowing that I've enjoyed every moment, have loved each day that I was blessed to work there, and most of all, that I could leave knowing that I was leaving friends rather than co-workers. It will be a bittersweet time - a time of preparation, of dotting I's and crossing Ts. (Of filling the confidential recycle bin with all those things that I will never need to remember again about Federal financial aid). By the time Kasey and Veronica are old enough for college I can MAYBE still remember how to fill out a FAFSA application but I wouldn't bet on it.
And this will be a time of letting go. It won't be easy. Dear Lord, please help me to realize that it's not a bad thing to retire - it's just a different road to travel. And it doesn't matter that my sick leave credit is based on my life expectancy - although it's quite humorous to see how much time they are giving me at the outset. :) Yup, humorous is the right word I guess.
But hey - this is no time to think about life expectancy. I think God still has a lot in store for Ron and I.
It's time we found out - don't ya think?
Blessings and love and as always, may God bless our troops and those of us who wait.

5 comments:

Call Me Grandma said...

Good luck in your retirement.
Congratulations on your retirement.
It is a big adjustment.
Enjoy every minute of your free time. May the moments be all precious moments.
God Bless

Unknown said...

May God bless you as you open this new chapter of your life!
Make it a good weekend!
~AM

Linda said...

Congratulations on your retirement Sue. God Bless you and Ron on your new adventures that await you.

Karen said...

Good Luck with your new adventures...I can't wait to see the new blogs about them. You've earned this retirement..ENJOY
HUGS,
Karen

kbug said...

Wow, that had to be a strange feeling...one that I look forward to someday in 10 or 12 years. I hope your retirement is wonderful!!