Tuesday, October 21, 2008


Understanding Supervisors.


Today was a long day. The alarm clock rang and I thought, "NO! IT'S TOO DARK!" I heard the rain falling outside and it was beating against the window. Something tells me that you all know this drill. :-).

The day was a normal one -just long..made longer by the fact that Laurie was waiting for her re-enlistment paperwork because she is supposed to be swearing in tomorrow - out of the Reserves and back to the good old regular Army.
At four o'clock Ron emailed me that the paperwork came through and she was on her way. She will stay nearby the Meps office tonight and tomorrow morning say "I do" again to Uncle Sam. Seven years this time. I guess I must have been worried about all the paperwork getting there on time...or maybe just overwhelmed by the thought that it's really here. The time has come. Thank God my supervisor Pam's office is directly across from my desk. I was away from my desk and into her office in a shot because I knew she was in the back of the office talking to some of the other staff. So I knew I had a minute or two to try to compose myself and dry the tears that always seem to be so close to the surface these days.
I closed the door a little bit and just after I did that, Pam came into her office and knew immediately that I was crying - my back was to the door and she could tell by my posture. She asked me what was wrong...I think she was scared that it was Stephen. I quickly said "everything is ok...just a little overwhelmed right now."
And so she sat me down and I just kind of explained what it means to me that Laurie is swearing in tomorrow - another 7 years. And she listened and asked all the right questions - and shared the fact that she sure understands that it would be overwhelming for any mom.
So when I start this post out with a title 'Understanding Supervisors,' I don't mean trying to figure them out - but rather giving praise to God for someone who lets me be me - who realizes that although I put on a good front 98% of the time, and do my job every day, there's this corner of my heart that just has to give way once in awhile. The mom part - ya know?
And so I pray tonight, Lord thank you for your visit to the office today as Pam and I sat and talked. Thank you for her compassion and friendship and that she was there at that place and time when I needed a friend who cared.
And Lord, please bless Laurie - sbe might be strong and determined and a good and willing soldier, but always - ALWAYS - she is still my little girl. When I started this blog 2 and a half years ago, it was because she had re-joined the military - ha! The Reserves! But I knew it was just the beginning - she was breaking us in for what she really wanted to do. She found her niche and I guess so have Ron and I - as military parents. Thanks for listening - and for your prayers. Our troops - they all need those prayers, as do all of us who love them.
God's blessings to you all.

4 comments:

Stacy said...

Until someone has walked a mile in a military parents shoes, they have no clue what we go through on a daily basis. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts.

Unknown said...

You are in my prayers...
Keep those Mom-Tears rolling...you are not alone!


~AirmanMom returning to her blog...

Karen said...

Oh those mom tears, we all have them and like you I functioned most of the time but those tears were always close and sometimes slipped out. Even though Rob is out now, my tears are still there, not quite as close to the surface but there none the less for all my other "sons and daughters"
BIG HUGS to you my friend,
Karen

Call Me Grandma said...

God blessings to you and yours Sue.
Everything will be alright no matter what.
Thanks to Laurie for her willingness to sacrifice for us.
Thanks to Steven also.
Thanks to all our military.
Thank God for citizens like these.