Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Stiff Upper Lip.


Well, as I might have told you in my last post, the boxes have been arriving with Kasey's things in them. And although I didn't mention it here, but mentioned on my military moms website, it's a bit overwhelming trying to imagine Laurie boxing all Kasey's things up to send to us. BUT, at least she knows that Kasey will be with grandma and grandpa who love him, and that she will be able to talk to him every single day - and probably see him for Christmas.
And so, with that said, I've decided to try a new approach: STIFF UPPER LIP, SUSAN!
We are blessed. Laurie has been accepted into this awesome program and once she starts her studies she won't really have a whole lot of free time, but she will be in the states, will hopefully be able to be here for Christmas; there will be pictures of Kasey waiting in nearly every email we send her, and she can call us whenever she is able. And, God willing, once we sell our home, we will be taking Kasey to live in the same city she's going to be stationed. There will be hard times AND good times - some tears and some laughter, and oh my goodness - only God knows what else. Trips to the zoo, or to the aquarium...to the grocery store and of course to the toy store.
Tonight when I talked to Kasey on the phone, he told me he is coming to visit me, "but not yet, grandma." No, not yet Kasey....but soon.
With all there is to do...I'd better get my new philosophy in motion. Wish me luck, ok? And a few prayers would be greatly appreciated.
Stephen is doing well, is settled in and my first package to him is in the making. I sent him a letter today with a picture of Laurie when she was about 12 (or a little younger) and she was dressed in some sort of get up for a game she was playing. Then there was the picture of Kasey I sent which was taken this past summer while we were all together on vacation. The last time he was deployed, I sent him a picture of Laurie when she was about 3 - sitting in my rocking chair with her bib overalls on - jeans on the bottom of them and the white bib which had pink rosebuds in it. So this time, since they are five years older, I thought a more "mature" picture of a 10 or 12 year old Laurie would be appropriate. :-) I hope they make Stephen smile.
Until next time...God bless our troops and those who wait.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Stay strong!
Pray Hard!!!

~AirmanMom returning to her blog...

Karen said...

You will be fine my friend. As I've said before (not sure if it was here or MM's), as hard as this is for Laurie, she and Stephen know that Kasey is going to the right place where he will be loved and safe. It wasn't an easy decision for them, I'm sure. My prayers are with all of you during this roller coaster ride you are on.
HUGS,
Karen

Call Me Grandma said...

I am wishing you a lot of luck and will keep you all in my prayers.
Just keep telling yourself, "This is temporary."
That is what always kept me going.
((((((BIG HUG)))))

The Teacup Cottage said...

We deal with a lot of grandparents takeing temporary custody of kids during deployments. It is especially hard for dual military Families when they cannot be stationed at the same location. There are a lot of program out there to help with talking to the children as they struggle to understand what is happening.

Ma said...

My prayers are with all of you.

Betsy