Friday, October 24, 2008


These are the days which the Lord hath made.


I have this friend - her name is Nancy and, although we live hundreds of miles from each other, we are as close as sisters. This is because we are not only good and close friends, but also sisters in the faith. I first "met" her on our military moms website nearly 7 years ago...I took notice of her posts and of her Christian faith and trust. For a week or so, I followed her posts about the fact that her son Josh was returning to the States after serving in Germany. As the day of his arrival home got closer, her posts were, well, softer. Thoughts I think I would have been feeling in her place. I could only imagine the excitement of having a child return from so far away. On the morning he was coming home, Nancy posted. She said that she woke up that morning, sat up in bed and - planting her feet on the floor beneath her - she proclaimed, "This is the day which the Lord hath made. We will rejoice and be glad in it!" I knew right then and there that somehow, God would find a way to keep us connected and that we would become good friends (and sisters in the faith). And He did - and we are connected by His grace.
As I planted MY feet on the floor this morning, I realized this would be a weekend of many emotions. A meeting at church tomorrow until noon, shopping for Kasey's favorites - Quaker oatmeal with dinosaur eggs, juice (cranberry or orange), and LOTS of milk (and ice cream). Maybe a couple of special "kid" bowls for him to use for that oatmeal and ice cream.
Then home to finish up his room, and do a few finishing touches - make some cookies for Stephen, do some laundry, touch up the bathrooms, and clean the refrigerator. Ok, so it's gonna be a little busier than I thought. :-)

I got the last two boxes that Laurie packed for Kasey - they arrived today. Those two will be unpacked with Kasey's help since they hold some important things. Let me just say Buzz Lightyear has arrived. I am going to get some helium balloons on the day Kasey arrives - will tape them to these last two boxes and put them in his room. At the end of the day we will send the balloons skyward - to mommy and daddy. In the little boy's heart that beats within him (and maybe even in mine) he will wonder whether mommy or daddy gets their balloons first.

Ron called - they have arrived in the city of Laurie's new duty station. They are about to go out for dinner. Kasey is wound up like a top, the dog is trying to figure out what the heck is going on - but as long as she can rest her chin on Ron's knee she is fine. She will sleep with Ron again tonight as she has all week -all 80 lbs of her. Makes me smile. She will be good company for Laurie.

And so, these are the days the Lord has made - I will rejoice and be glad in them. I have come to realize that as much as I know Laurie's heart is hurting, I haven't given her enough credit. I did a post not too long ago about the magnets on my desk at work - and that one of them says "Army Strong." Another says "Happiness," the other "Faith." Well, I keep remembering the Army Strong one - that one suits her to a tee. But also, so does the Faith magnet. And that so many times God seems to be testing that faith. That may be true, but I heard some words tonight which REALLY made me sit up and take notice. For He is not only testing us, but SHOWING us our faith. I guess He is showing me the faith of my daughter.

Yes, and in these days - and in all things - we shall rejoice.

God bless our troops - every single one - no matter where they serve.

3 comments:

Karen said...

FAITH, when mine wavers, as it does from time to time, I come to you my friend to show me the way again. Laurie comes from a strong woman and shows that strength with the decisions she has and is making.
HUGS to all of you,
Karen

Elisha said...

I too have the privilege of calling Nancy my friend as I also do you and Karen. You ladies are some of the strongest most faithful women I know and I know for a fact that I found you all exactly when I needed you the most.

While I can not imagine having to send my little boy to live far away from me, I know I would find comfort in knowing he was with my mom as I know Laurie finds comfort knowing he will be in your hands while she can not be with him.

Ma said...

You have a great family...so supportive of each other. Hang in there. Army strong.

Betsy