Thursday, October 18, 2007





"You WILL be back tomorrow, right?"


I had a new staff member start this week...a very nice lady and it seemed she was going to work out just fine. But on Monday, as the day ended, she looked pretty tired. I said - you WILL be back tomorrow, right? She laughed and said that she would be.
Of course, when new staff members start, we like them to think we are organized...like a well oiled machine that hums along like an expensive diesel engine on the most expensive pick up truck you can buy (Ron's dream). Are there any offices that work like that? Well, not in my world. We truly are a well oiled machine...but there's a little water mixed in there so it doesn't hum too quietly sometimes. But it all gets done somehow.
Anyway, our new girl did return on Tuesday and she came back yesterday as well. And I thought: well, I guess we must be doing something right. I took her to a different part of campus at noontime to show her around a little bit and we had lunch together too. She said our office is a lot busier than she thought it would be but she is learning things already. Great to know she is such a quick learner, I thought.
This morning when I arrived at work at 7:30 and there was a voice mail waiting for me. It was the new girl - she had called at 6:35 this morning. "I will not be returning," she said, "I don't think the job is a good fit for me." I called her back immediately but she didn't answer and so I left her a voicemail and said that I felt bad that she wasn't returning and did I do something to offend her...did any of us do anything to offend her? She called me back at 3 o'clock and said it was nothing we did...she's just not ready to return to an office environment. I had looked in her desk drawer earlier in the day and found her parking tag, her id card, and her keys. This means that she would have had to walk to her car, remove the parking tag and return to the office and put everything in her desk drawer and then leave, knowing that this job wasn't going to work out. How difficult that must have been for her...as well as the call she made this morning. I felt pretty dejected all day, more for her than for me. I was disappointed for our office, but also for her.
It will be December before we find another person to fill her position. We have two other positions open so will probably hire all three staff members at the same time.
So, tomorrow will be another day. Lots to do -there always is. Seems like the weeks fly by - the days sometimes crawl a little bit though. Know the feeling?
With Wendy's son soon to be back in his home town - he returned to his home base recently and Wendy was there when he stepped off the plane - it's so good to know that my friend now knows the comfort of not waking in the middle of the night wondering where Jay is and whether he is on a mission. God does bring us comfort during times like that - He makes us realize that He is the only one we can trust our loved ones to because as awesome of a task as that might seem to us, it's an everyday gift of love He gives to us all. He has the answers to all the questions we ask over and over again -we don't always "get it" the first time we ask Him...but He is patient. I wonder if He ever says, "You WILL be back tomorrow, won't you?"
My answer? Dear Lord, yes. (Do you think it's ok if I go back to Him BEFORE tomorrow?).
Blessings to you all and may God bless our troops and those who wait.

No comments: