Wednesday, October 31, 2007

BOO!

Trick or treat!
Hi - it's been awhile - I think I have writer's block or something. Just can't get into the swing of things these days. There's so much going on - at home, at work...on my mind and in my heart. Today being Halloween, I didn't dress up as in years past...had some ideas last night but no Halloween makeup and our corner store was closed - so I didn't wear a costume. It felt weird. Last year I was some sort of clown - my "clown hair" sticking from underneath my hat was put together with brightly colored curling ribbon and Ron's coveralls did just fine for my pants - his favorite flannel shirt with the holes in the sleeves - well, let's just say I understand now why it's his favorite....just really comfortable. I love driving to work in my costume - it's interesting because everyone is so busy driving and cutting in and changing lanes that they don't even notice that the person sitting behind the wheel in the car next to them has a bright red rubber nose and a plastic cigar tucked behind their ear. People are in such a hurry these days.
So anyway, this year, I don't know. Call it weariness or something - I just wasn't into it. Scott and Tina's separation is wearing on my heart these days - and on my mind too. I'm angry, sad, confused, and just plain tired of trying to figure how two people who seemed so in love could let it get away. Please understand that I am grateful to have Scott here after what we went through in August when he went so far away - it just takes some getting used to.
I was talking to a friend yesterday(you know who you are :) and she was telling me that her life has changed drastically also, having separated from her husband. But she has a new Friend now - she is seeking our Father and the more she talks with Him, the more comfortable it is for her. That's kind of the way things happen - we can be in the deepest valleys, but somehow God lifts us up and although we may not feel like we are on a mountain top, we know that we are safe and being taken care of. And we know that this too - whatever it may be - shall pass.
I guess my writer's block is chipping away - it feels good to be back.
Tonight, as we sit in the "sticks" with only two trick or treaters - Princess Veronica and King Something Luke (a character from one of Luke's video games) - having rung our doorbell, I am feeling kind of nostalgic. Years ago, when Scott and Laurie were Luke and Veronica's age, it was always hectic around here on halloween. Now, they are the parents and it's funny - what goes around comes around: "You can't eat all that candy now - you won't have any left when you get home." Or "don't be ridiculous, you HAVE to wear your jacket - it matches your princess costume just fine." I chuckle thinking of it all.
Protestants also observe Reformation Day today....the day that we observe Martin Luther's posting of his 95 Thesis proclaiming the "gospel in a nutshell" - that by grace we are saved through faith.
One year, when I was teaching Tuesday night Confirmation classes, Pastor and the rest of the teachers had decided to have a Reformation Day party. If we or the kids were going to wear a costume, it had to be biblical in nature. So, having worn my very best Pillsbury Dough Boy get up during working hours, I came home, put on a fuzzy white sweater with my white food service uniform pants and a fluffy white winter hat with flaps, and a pair of white mittens and went to the party dressed as - a sheep! I was rather creative back then. Of course some of the kids thought I looked like a bunny.
Just got home from our friend's house next door. Put a mask on and went trick or treating to see if they had any good candy. Nestle's Crunch Bars - worth the trip, especially since we talked for about half an hour about everything under the sun. I love those impromptu visits.
Better go now - Lilly is getting restless and has her rope toy in her mouth so I guess that means, "let's play mom!"
Laurie will send us lots of pictures tomorrow of Kasey's Halloween adventures. Can't wait to see them. I wonder how many candy bars he had tonight? Ahhh, Laurie, PAYBACK TIME!!
God bless our troops and those who wait.

1 comment:

Call Me Grandma said...

We live in the sticks and did not get one tricker treater.
I just thought I would stop in and see what was new with you guys.
I see you are enjoying your puppy.