Friday, December 19, 2008

An Early Christmas.

I know - I've been awol in recent days. Kasey had a cold, work was kind of busy because it was the semester end final processing, and oh yeah, I got an early Christmas present.
On Wednesday, my phone rang at work. It was Ron - asking me to look outside. I said you are an hour early picking me up, but ok, I'll be right out. I left the office, went to the outer hallway and looked out the door. Sitting in his carseat grinning like crazy was Kasey. And sitting next to him - looking at me - was Stephen. STEPHEN!! I screamed. Went out the door and hugged him within an inch of his life. A financial aid advisor - also a good friend - was on his way back into the office, witnessed the whole thing and came over to shake Stephen's hand. And another good friend was witnessing the whole thing through her office window.
To say that I was shocked just doesn't do it. To say that I was happy also doesn't do it...but to say that I cried unabandoned tears of joy? That's more like it.
Ron knew it was a possibility last week and then he got the call on Tuesday from Stephen that he was on his way home and could he pick him up from the airport.
Laurie didn't know and wouldn't have known had she not checked their checking account online this morning and found out that someone had used Stephen's bank card to buy some stuff yesterday...and rented a car. When she instant messaged me I told her every thing Stephen told me to say. An hour later the phone rang. "He's there, isn't he?" said the very familiar voice on the other end of the line. She figured it out when she found out that he had taken money out of an atm and used his pin number.
And so, when Laurie arrives in the next couple of days, we will be complete.
Half my Christmas was all wrapped up in camoflage on Wednesday afternoon and the remainder will arrive on a big bird which hopefully won't be delayed by weather difficulties. My cup is overflowing because Scott and Vi and Veronica will be here also. The tree will go up on Sunday and the kids will do the decorating. And I will just watch and smile.
And thank our Lord for His tender mercies.
God is good.
May He bless our troops wherever they may be.

5 comments:

Elisha said...

What a wonderful surprise! And what a very Merry Christmas this will be for all of you!

Linda said...

I am just sitting here crying reading this. How very wonderful that Stephen is on R & R for Christmas. Shame it couldnt of been as much of a surprise for Laurie as it was for you. I know you will enjoy every precious minute you have with your family.
Merry Christmas dear Sue and family.

Call Me Grandma said...

I am so happy for you Sue!
Have a very Merry Christmas!

Karen said...

The HAPPY tears are falling, (glad I have Cheese's hankie). What a BLESSED CHRISTMAS in your home. Welcome home and BIG HUGS Stephen. Merry Christmas to all of you and our prayers are with Laurie that she travels safely and makes it home.
HUGS to all,
Karen and Jim

Unknown said...

God is good!

~AirmanMom returning to her blog...