Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The kindest thing...

Hi everyone. Today was a better day at work - whew, yesterday was a disaster. Just transition issues as we close one financial aid year and begin another. It's always hectic, sometimes stressful, but ALWAYS a challenge, and I do love a challenge. (well I usually love a challenge). But today is also a sad day for our family.
My sister just called. Her doggie Spencer - a beautiful golden Retriever - died yesterday after a battle with oral melanoma. She couldn't bring herself to call yesterday - anyone who has walked in the shoes surely understands that. Spencer was a true and literal case of puppy love.
When Michelle first adopted Spenc, he was an abused and malnourished animal, only a couple of years old. Chelle and Bob gave Spenc 10 years of absolute and unconditional love, as well as a silly, lovable, spoiled Llasa Apsu (sp) "sibling" who helped him create havoc time and time again. But yesterday, Spenc was tired, and stressed, and ready for them to allow the kindest act a pet owner can chose. And so, with the advice of a very loving vet, they did the thing that we as doglovers do - with broken hearts. When Chelle called me tonight, I wasn't much help as I sobbed right along with her. How do you console someone who has just lost their best friend? You look in your heart and remember the pain of 19 months ago when our own Shelby went to sleep. And you remember that it takes time - that 10 years of love can't be erased by a visit to the vet's office. I love you Chelle and Bob and we loved Spenc.
Don't mean to be low or sad, but sometimes we just need to remember the life of a good friend. I am thankful that we have the choices we do - that mankind can give these kind and timely gifts to our best friends when God has chosen.
But it sure doesn't help the pain. I guess the pain is a reminder of how kind and full of Grace God has been to have let us know these furry creatures.
I know that there are animals in heaven - I can't wait to see all our old furry friends.
Thanks for letting me remember Spenc. There should have been a picture posted but I couldn't load it from the email Chelle sent. Sorry Spenc - your beautiful face should be part of this post.
Blessings my friends.

2 comments:

Karen said...

What a sad day...my prayers are with Chelle and Bob and with you.
BIG HUGS for all

Call Me Grandma said...

The lose of a pet can be very hard. They do become family.
Your sister has my sympathy.
Happy Easter goes out to you and yours.