Saturday, July 21, 2007

Little things mean a lot.

Well, we are slowly getting used to the fact that Kasey took his mommy and daddy home yesterday. But oh, getting up this morning was tough. No little feet running in the house shouting the things that 2 year olds like to shout first thing in the morning when mommies and daddies are still trying to catch those last 40 winks. No good morning hug from Laurie. Most of you know what I mean. When we got home from the airport yesterday, I walked around the house looking for the little things they usually leave behind. A sock or bib or toy. No deal - Laurie packed EVERYTHING. Kasey packed all his toys - he was so cute running around the house the other night - gathering all of his cars and trucks. The books and magazines that he arranged on the coffee table in the family room to serve as the race course for his cars are still exactly where he left them. When I dust the table next week - I will have to move them, but next week is soon enough. The room that Laurie and Stephen slept in is neat as a pin - and Kasey's room...well...it looks like a little boy slept there. This is good. I will leave it that way for awhile yet...and then put it back the way it was before they got here. :(
Today, there is the family reunion at my cousin's cottage. We all decided we should have a cousin's reunion while at my cousin Tina's funeral luncheon. Most of our parents - my mom and dad, and my aunts and uncles, are gone now. But I am really looking forward to seeing my cousins and catching up - got the pasta cooking right now for a casserole of good old fashioned mac and cheese. We are supposed to take a dish to pass, meat for grilling if we want to (not me - with all those yummy pot luck dishes, I can forego the hot dogs), and any alcoholic beverages we would like to take. They will provide the soft drinks - sounds good to me. It's less to carry and to remember one dish and my purse when I leave the picnic is a very easy thing. Ron won't be going with me, but I know where the lake is, so I won't get lost getting out there (she says with confidence).
As I get back into my routine next week, I'll be missing the kids. Little things mean a lot - and even though there weren't any little things left behind, when I go from room to room, oh the memories of yet another wonderful time with my soldiers and their little man.
God bless your weekend everyone, and may He bless our troops.
Sue

No comments: