Sunday, June 10, 2007


Over tired?


This weekend has been extraordinarily busy. We celebrated Veronica's birthday today - she will be 3 on Monday. Scott and Tina, Luke and Veronica came over today as well as Tina's sister Denise. Chicken on the grill, hot dogs, homemade tuna macaroni salad, cheesy broccoli/rice casserole. We also had our Summerfest going on at church - and although I couldn't be there to help today, there were things I could do to contribute. Baked a couple of apple pies Friday night (and some apple strudel for Ron to keep peace in the house), and then on Saturday morning I went over to church to help peel and slice the 150 lbs. of potatoes for the german potato salad. Then of course there was all the running around for presents and decorations for our mini party today; and a trip to Home Depot to get rugs for Scott's old room - we're getting it ready for Laurie and Stephen. It's a nice shade of "toasted marshmallow" and I just need to finish up the decorating touches - curtains, put the quilt on the bed, finish getting the rest of Scott's old paraphenalia out of the closet. I took an extra day off this weekend so tomorrow I'll finish Laurie's room and start to get serious about preparations for our garage sale we are having in a couple of weeks.

Anyway, I was sitting here at my computer trying to stay awake until 9 o'clock, decided to do a couple of things online, and went to bed because I was exhausted.

Ever have one of those nights when you can barely keep your eyes open and then you go to bed only to find out that you can't sleep? You lie there in the dark, staring at the ceiling that is somewhere above you and then the "think machine" starts.

So here I am - back at the computer. Thanks to the half hour I spent trying to get to sleep, I now have a ton of things on my mind. Work, the kids, the war, all the things that need to be done around here, money - or the lack therof. You know the drill.

How could I have been so tired, and yet be so wide awake? Maybe if I could stop thinking about it, I could get to sleep.

Happy Birthday Veronica - three years old and such a big girl you are getting to be.

Three years ago at this time I was trying to sleep in a cold, air conditioned hospital room with Scott and Tina. Tina slept like a baby as she waited for her induced labor to kick in. Scott had his own worries on his mind - his wife and their baby girl waiting to be born. And me? We won't go there tonight - I have enough on my mind without thinking of what was on my mind in that hospital room three years ago. (everything went well in spite of my worry).

Guess I better just leave everything in God's hands tonight and try to get some sleep.

God bless our troops and those who love them.


No comments: