Wednesday, February 14, 2007


That's Amore!


Some funny, lovely, wonderful things happened to me today. To explain the first, I need to give you a little history. Ron and I always have this competition going on holidays - who can be the first to give their holiday cards to the other. Last night I baked some cupcakes for Ron and also some to take to work for my co-workers for Valentine's Day. Before I went to bed, I signed Ron's card and put it on top of the plate of cupcakes so he would see it first thing in the morning. AH HA! Victory would be mine.

Fast forward to this morning when I went out to the kitchen to pour my coffee at 0530. I turned on the light and lo and behold, there was a bright pink envelope on the counter by my coffee pot. The flap side of the envelope was facing up and Ron had written in huge letters: I WON!!

Which of course he didn't because I put mine on top of the cupcakes at 11:30 last night before I went to bed. When I called Ron this morning after I had gotten to work, I asked him what time he had put the envelope on the counter...he said that it was sometime during the night when he woke up...12:30 or 1 am. It started my day with a laugh - and a good hearty one at that. Romantic fool that he is. :)

The roads were really bad this morning - all day really, yet again. But my friend was taking me to lunch at one of the restaurants on campus. Instead of driving over, I decided to get one of the campus shuttle buses ( never did that before except to ride to the other campus). So another friend of mine was also going to the same restaurant with a couple of other ladies...she told her friends that she would meet them there and accompanied me on the bus ride because it was my "first time" on the bus.

How kind that was and so appreciatedm and we had such a nice chat on the way over. I think I can do it on my own the next time. Thanks Shirley!

Lunch with my other friend was delicious - she treated me to lunch and I brought her flowers. It was a lovely 90 minutes. Thanks to Shirley, I was also able to find my way back to my office as she had told me where to wait for the return bus.

On my way home (doing the white knuckle thing again on a rural expressway I have to drive each day to and from work), I was listening to talk radio when all of a sudden the host played an old Dean Martin song:

That's Amore. I turned up the radio and sang every word with good old Dino. Loudly and with gusto.

Another lovely thought I had today was the mental picture of Kasey at his daycare - making valentines for mommy and daddy. And when I spoke to Laurie on the phone tonight, I asked if Kasey had made a valentine for them...yes, indeed he had. This grandma has ESP - don't you think so?

Dinner was ready when I got home and it was delicious...the best leftovers ever. Comfort food.

Happy Valentine's Day....hope you had some lovely moments too. It doesn't need to be receiving flowers or candy...just a good belly laugh, a random act of kindness, and a wonderful lunch shared by friends.
That's Amore.

Love to you all,

Sue

No comments: