Thursday, January 13, 2011







Still Just Our Little Girl.



Last week, this roller coaster stopped in a really good place:
after two of the longest years of her life, Laurie received her Commission as a 1LT. as she earned her Masters Degree in Physician Assistant studies.

Hours and hours of study, two or three exams per week, long hours of classroom instruction, and many nights when more than 4 or 5 hours of sleep just wasn't to be had, she completed the Armed Forces Physician Assistant program. It is the complete 4 year civilian PA program done in 2 years with absolutely no shortcuts. They earn their Bachelor's degree the first year, and all of their Graduate studies are completed in the second year, with their clinical rotations and the exams which are administered to the students after each rotation is complete. To say that these students took 75-100 exams is not an exaggeration. In fact, I know this is a low estimate.

As Ron and I stood side by side listening to (first) the commission, and then the oath of office ~ administered by a Captain who was also Laurie's fellow graduate ~ I thought back to Laurie as a basic training graduate so many years ago. Nearly 13 years older than she was back then, with a few more smile lines around her eyes, she is still our baby girl. And as Ron and Kasey pinned a bar on one side, and I did the same on the other, I knew that it wouldn't take much for those tears I was holding back to escape.

I cannot tell you what this means to Laurie and to her little family. Truly I think only God knows what is in Laurie's heart. There are a couple of other pictures over on my other blog, but the picture above kind of captures the one moment when those tears that I had SO not wanted to be shed, finally escaped...but it wasn't just my tears that were being shed. Since Stephen is in the sand, the officers in charge of the ceremony had made arrangements for him to be there via SKYPE. He witnessed the entire graduation and promotion ceremonies and at the end, as Laurie walked over to the computer to give him her love, he stood and saluted her. Not too many eyes were dry at that moment. I cry even as I type this now. It's not so much the pride, but rather the realization of what it took....that it's over, and yet just beginning for them. Stephen has many months remaining in his deployment and so it will be up to Laurie, with our help, to move us all to her (and eventually Stephen's) new duty station.

Many, if not most, of these new PAs will serve in harm's way very soon. From their graduation, to their new post, and then to one sandbox or another, leaving family behind to settle in their new homes.

Thank you for your prayers for our family, and for all of this nation's military. Only those who walk in the shoes understand, but your support means the world to us.

God bless you for being a blessing to all who serve - and to all of us who love them.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I like the look of both your blogs, I left my comments about Laurie on the other one.
HUGS,
Karen